auto amp for home use

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did use sometimes car-amps. Little complementer-pp-designs, active psu including. Much much better, much much cleaner, clearer than every Accu, Krell, ML ...! No doubt! I would/you could, if I/you cannot build myself/yourself a se or simple "quasicomplementer" (not as good as se), use a little one!!! car-amp,-! A little 12 - 15 V psu should run very pretty,-)

I did use sometimes car-amps. Little complementer-pp-designs, active psu including. Much much better, much much cleaner, clearer than every Accu, Krell, ML ...! No doubt! I would/you could, if I/you cannot build myself/yourself a se or simple "quasicomplementer" (not as good as se), use a little one!!! car-amp,-! A little 12 - 15 V psu should run very pretty,-)

My Radio-CD Player car for home use, with a little 2 amp power supply .

001M.jpg

002M.jpg

What brands of car amps are considered high quality. By that I mean, low noise floor, low distortion and high SN. I want one that is dead quiet, with ear near the drivers, when no sound is being sent to it.

I don't need that crazy loud bass I hear when an outfitted car drives by my house.

Would they work with an Audible Illusions M3A or are any integrated? This is fun and sounds like the potential is out there.

Thanks

IF you're looking for super specs, you may be able to get it in car equipment but by the time you buy the equipment and the power supply, it may not be cost effective. What is is about car audio that makes you want to use it instead of mains powered equipment?

One thing that you should know is that virtually all car amps use switching power supplies. These can cause problems with video. The problems are less likely with a completely digital video signal path but it's still possible that some amplifiers could cause problems with some video equipment.

Any atx computer power supply can be rigged to car audio gear if all you need is 25 watts per channel. The super gamer power supplies can get you more power, but then you run into the fact that they only source 12 volts. The more power hungry amps do better when they are fed 14 volts. A good many of the "competition" style amps will attempt to draw enormous amperage on peaks, which the computer supply may not be able to deliver. When this happens, the amp may cut out on undervoltage protection. If not, the atx supply will react to the overload condition, maybe violently.

Last edited:
There must be many AC to 12V DC power supplies. Does anyone know of any good ones?

12V?? I have never seen car amps with such voltage. All I have seen increase the voltage (using DC-to-DC converter) to "normal" voltage. The amplifier schematic itself is no different than "normal" amplifier you can find on internet.

There is IC module to convert AC to DC, like the one from VICOR. You need heatsink of course.

I did use HT, for home theater, in the original post. I've read a bit about car audio and thought the amps might be good for HT use.

My reason for asking is because I've changed my setups. My Aragon 8008bb always drove my B&W n803s in a stereo setup in my main listening room. It also powered the front speakers in my HT in an upstairs room via long cables. I now want a stereo amp for the HT and the small class D and tripath integrateds are interesting, then I started thinking about car audio.

My other stereo listening system has a Mccormack deluxe edition dna0.5 which is fantastic to me. I just thought something smaller for the HT would be convenient.

Another possibility is not to use 12V supply, but connecting powersupply directly to amplifier module. For instance I used for home subwoofer old car amp and feeded it with ~2*18V transformer, (gives bout +/- 25V at caps). Connected three wires(+ - and centre tapping) where are those two 35V2000uF output caps. Works great, with some amplifiers You could lose short circuit protection though, and thermal overload protection too.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.