Aura Whisper Killer?! Tectonic Elements TEBM35C10-4

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These aren't available right now for purchase but I was able to get some samples shipped to me. These drivers are SMALL. I can nearly close my hand with one in my palm.

While the sensitivity is low, the bandwidth is WIDE and this driver would have no problem covering 400hz+ while having one of the best polar responses for a driver in it's size I've ever seen.

As an aside, there's a "Contribute" button at the bottom of the page.
If you have a few extra bucks to donate to my test funds, it would be appreciated. To make a long story short, I wound up paying out the wazoo on shipping... overnight from Hong Kong to Alabama... yea... totally my screw up for not catching it before it left but such is life. So, if you can even donate a dollar... if I get enough of them it might help me stay in the clear with my creditors. lol

(ps: yes, I plan to test these in an array... Synergy horn, anyone?...)

Here's the results:
http://medleysmusings.com/tectonic-elements-tebm35c10-4-miniature-bmr-driver/

Hope you guys enjoy!
Erin

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am curious how these sound. The measurements seem impressive but the last BMR I tested on the Blind test threads - this driver got no votes. That was the square one - just lacked something that made people prefer standard round cone drivers. Maybe making this round will help. That low 75dB sensitivity is a killer though. Kind of a deal breaker for many applications.

I am curious how these sound. The measurements seem impressive but the last BMR I tested on the Blind test threads - this driver got no votes. That was the square one - just lacked something that made people prefer standard round cone drivers. Maybe making this round will help. That low 75dB sensitivity is a killer though. Kind of a deal breaker for many applications.

Maybe it was the lack of DDR? Lol

Got a reply back from the mfg rep today.

Here's some info:
Thank you for your review and your comments. For my part, I would like to add that the (TEBM35C10-4) driver is fully available and in mass production: we will advise regarding US distribution as soon as possible. I can also confirm that this is our smallest driver and as such, it is priced accordingly. We envisage the price to be in the region of $4 to $5 for 10k volumes.

I don't know the likelihood of PE carrying 10k+ of this and I don't know for sure if the $4-5 he quoted me was expected MSRP or dealer price. But, if nothing else, it's a good indication of pricing in line with their other drivers sold here in the States which is about $15-20 each. So I'd expect them to be no more than that to the end user.

Given companies who offered BMR have started pulling out from it I am not sure I can share your optimism. But would be nice if they could.

With great and cheap off-the-shelf traditional drivers like the TC9FD. It's a bit hard to compete.

Any new technology is going to have a lot of flaws to work out vs a technology perfected over ~100 years. BMR's have been commercially available for how long? I'd guess less than ten years.. maybe around 5.

In that short period of time they've developed a 2" driver that measures very flat, has extremely low FR for a 2" driver, and is near constant directivity all the way up to 20khz. All for $8! I mean seriously, this is more CD than the Linkwitz Pluto!

A line source of these to push HD down and sensitivity up would be really interesting. Parts express' recommended ported box gives an f3 of 85hz. If the manufacturer's sensitivity is correct, 16 of these drivers (8 per speaker) would give you a sensitivity of 92dB/1W/1M... for $128.

For a line source to be effective, it would need to be 70% or greater the listening distance in height so I'd say 30 per side would get the job done.........but it will still exhibit a downward sloping top end from destructive interference/cancellations requiring significant EQ.

From a relative size, spec and measurements, does the Tectonics BMR see like a viable candidate for an array with improved performance over the TC9?.......IMO absolutely. I'd lik to see someone use the 3.5" drivers at greater spacing dual opposed on either side like Carver is doing with the ALS. Eight per side crossed 250hz would be interesting from a power response position.

What I think is interesting is if CTC spacing applies the same if you used these in a line array. BMR's radiate from their entire surface with very little beaming.. I guess it's a possibility that this would increase HF acting as a line source vs. dome/cone radiators of the same size and spacing.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.