Aura CDP • Clean up & upgrade

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Malefoda said:
That's a good advice. The only thing I find strange is... I can't find any caps on supply pins of the opamps! Or they are far away near the rectifiers and regs... have a look.

There are 2 caps "not fitted" according to the legend on the PCB or they might have been replaced with smd devices.

You really need to get hold of a circuit diagran or at least plot out the circuit of the power supplies and output stages before replacing stuff.

In standard form, this cdp was supposed to blow away the likes of your Marantz. The CDM9 is the last of the swing arm mechanisms and is far superior to the CDM12.

Andy

Right now:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

As you can see: Muse removed, caps from pin 5 changed for my Elna RJH 470/10 (were 100/10 VX) bypassed with 100n PPS SMD, 2x Pana SU 470/16 replaced by 470/16 Philips and few things (removed muting transistors). LM4562 of course (with 100nF across 8&4). No plocs or such, dead silent.
Enough for me now: overall sound is the same to me but a big big veil gone: much more air and focus! Easier to listen to. Something less? No, I don't think so. It's already very good in fact, and yes Andy my CD53 was not that good when new! I've made a test and my first conclusion is that the main thing you must take care of is... speakers! Just by changing caps in speakers was doing far more than the extensive work in my CDP. Next step is money saving for new speakers (I want bass wich the Quad 11L can't handle... ).
Speakers, speaker, the way they are settled, and oh just a good CDP and amp if possible.
Anyway, in these states wich are no more OEM, my CD53 is more real, voices so sweet and so much space around... the Aura a good player already. But the work done to have after all so few difference is a bit disturbing to me... compared to speakers upgrade. Maybe better speakers will reveal much difference between these two babies!

So enough for now, maybe for ever ;)
Will just think of saving caps or such from my other mods if any.
Thanks for the help guys. LM4562 rules!

Matthieu

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Speakers will make huge difference. I splashed out 4 years or so ago on B&W703's. I listened to Quads at the time amongst many others, forget the number but I remember they had a very "dry" presentation for want of a better word. It's all so personal though.

Fantastic sound :)

Andy was right, Mooly too optimistic!
Sorry for the board but I was in trouble with: my iron wich I used to make a hole inside some real rubber (does not melt!) and do not dare to clean it... very hard to use it... and also to my first working place, no earth on the plug, get small shocks each time touched the poor pcb...
Removed are 4 transistors, 4 resistors and 2 bypass wires.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The missing caps on the original board are...
One is from pin 8 of both opamps to ground, the other from 4 to ground! Nothing to smooth & supply them!

There is also room for a voltage regulator...
What do you think is worth there?

BlackGate on the empty slots and what about the reg?

Thanks.

Malefoda said:
The missing caps on the original board are...
One is from pin 8 of both opamps to ground, the other from 4 to ground! Nothing to smooth & supply them!

There is also room for a voltage regulator...
What do you think is worth there?

BlackGate on the empty slots and what about the reg?

Thanks.

Do you mean there is no supply to the missing caps ?

Really, you need the circuit diagram or to spend 30mins tracing it out for 1 channel. Start from the RCA and work back and try to work out what is happening with the "missing" components.

This may help :-

http://www.datasheet4u.com/download.php?id=544589

( same pinout as SAA7321 - later version )

Andy

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Matthieu

Love your work.

LM4562 are really good but nothing compares to a discrete fet output steg...

I am using these opamps on my Meridian 101b and they are really better than the stock ones but they are opamps nevertheless so next step will be a fet buffer ;)

Ricardo

No worry it's still working, I was just curious about the missing parts so wanna find out more...
It's a problem for all of us I think... no end!
Andy as my english is not so fluent and my mind even less I just wanted to say that the ps lines are there but the caps that "should" be on it are not!
I've had a closer look, quite complicated and so " simple and square " as in my CD53:
Pin 8 of both opamps goes to... the TX! Yes here and there around there are caps, but far away... this xV also feed a 7805 with supply other things.
Pin 4 leads to the same unregulated negative rail, as it also feed input of a smaller MC79L05.
The way PCB is designed (by a snake or a computer) and the way they went so cheap make me sick (have sea-sick coz' of the small moving tracks!) even if it is sounds is quite good.

is it worth before close the lid to fit good caps on these lines? Maybe It can smooth the LM4562 work? Don't want to do too much, good system enough for kids!

edit: and yes Ricardo, later I'll go for discrete output for my lovely CD53 :)... after better speakers, dedicated PSU for the premap of my integrated etc...

Hi there,

Just found this thread following the link from the Aura amplifier.

I've got an Aura AUC-5-CHR here which I assume is the same as yours but with a chrome front panel. It also has a gear broken (actually missing) in the transport mechanism. Did you find a source for a spare part or a replacement transport. Is it a standard Phillips CD transport?

I need to re-read the thread as to exactly what modifications you did but are there any which you would recommend particularly. Any easy jobs worth doing to it?

Chris

Cheers for the tip. Have found the offending gear for sale on Ebay from Hong Kong. Worth a go.

The other problem it has is it only outputs audio on one side. I think the Op-amp driving the output has failed on one side but I haven't looked in detail yet.

I don't suppose you either have the schematic or drew one out?

Hello again,

Good news is that my AUC-50 is now working on both left and right output channels. The OPA2604 on the left channel had failed. I'm slightly concerned that I don't appear to be the first person to have replaced the op-amps in both left and right channels. It's not exactly a common failure in most equipment.

I also wrongly ordered a CDM-4 gear from Ebay only to discover I should have ordered a CDM-9 gear! D'oh! Time to order another one.

I've noticed that the supply rails for the op-amps are really badly smoothed. I haven't yet delved into the power supply to find out which are the reservoir caps in question.

The CD player isn't mine, it was picked up at a car boot sale for peanuts by a mate of mine so I don't know yet how far it's worth going with modifications but I reckon trying to get the rails at least slightly smooth might be nice!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.