Audiophile Ethernet Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
<snip>
If it’s known, and the goal of he test is to qualify a difference as generally audible to anyone, and trained listeners make up a significantly large portion of the subject group, you have skewed the results and are no longer answering the original question.

As usual, before doing an experiment (and designing an experiment) a hypothesis/question to be examined shall be stated. Unfortunately it is quite seldom done in these audio tests. Searching for an estimate for the underlying distribution in a population can be the basis for an experiment, but usually in these multidimensional evaluations it is more like "can anyone detect a difference" or also quite often "can this listener detect a difference".

You obviously know this. I fail to see it as an ABX flaw when it’s clearly a matter of test subject selection as it relates to the desired information.

We have discussed these matter in other threads already quite extensively so it can be that I am sometimes writing not detailed enough.
It is not so much about a flaw on any specific test protocol but more of the experiment using a specific test protocol without considering the impact this protocol might have.

We know that any test environment is artifical wrt normal listening and we know that within this artifical environment the impact of the various test protocols differs in addition.
Therefore the meaning of training is twofold in this context, it can be denoting the experience of listeners wrt to the sonic effect under test, but also the familiarization of the listener with the specific conditions of the test.

While I agree that an ABX trial is more involved, it does consist of a set of 3 AB comparison, the first of which is the classic A/B, no different from the “usual analysis”, followed by two more choice pairings, also no different to the “usual analysis”.

My "usual analysis" was related to the statistical analysis of tests with a dichotomous outcome like ABX or A/B or Triangle. Usually the analysis is based on the number of correct responses used for doing an exact binomial test under the assumption that the null-hypothesis is true and then to decide if the observed data is more or less compatible with this assumption. The intended level of significance (statistical significance) choosen upfront gives the decision rule for rejecting or non-rejecting the null-hypothesis.

The interesting point of the table excerpt I've posted is, that the number of correct responses is quite different and therefore, if doing the "usual statistical analysis" as described above, rejection of the null-hypothesis depends not only on the detection abilities of the participants but on the test protocol used.
While the null-hypothesis (when using the numbers from this experiment) would always be rejected when using the A/B protocol, it would be so only sometimes for the Triangle and for the ABX.

I'm not sure if we talking past each other about the ABX-protocol. It is listen to "A" then listen to "B" then listen to "X" and finally decide if "X=A" or "X=B"; relistening is allowed but if the participants are not listening consecutively to the three samples it is no longer an ABX - test.

The challenge then comes in matching identical test pairings. I have not looked up your references yet, but the inferiority of the ABX protocol isn’t jumping out so far.

I hope, my paragraph above illustrates where the problem exist; it is the combination of the specific protocol with a certain kind of statistical analysis.

Nobody? Who's that? Perhaps a researcher who isn't applying the correct controls.

Really detailed documentations are rare, but if existent, iti shows that correct controls are often not applied.

If my question is if the average listener can hear something, there's no need or desire for training. Since trained listeners are a minute segment of the population, most valid population samples would not be invalid to exclude one.

As said above, it of course depends on the hypothesis one wants to examine, but if training under the specific experimental conditions is needed to get correct results which reflect just the audibility is impossible to decide without using appropriate positive controls.
Otherwise risk is high that the test/experimental test conditons are an uncontrolled external variable with unknown impact on the results.

If my question is can any human detect something, they I'd not only want trained listeners in the sample, I'd probably train a few, then do a run with no trained listeners as the control.

As the excerpt from the tasting experiment shows, the group of participants was well equipped to detect the difference (trained and experienced generally enough for the task of detecting the difference, see the consistency in the replicates) but nevertheless was obviously strongly influenced by the test protocol.

Highlighting uninformed application of any test protocol does not negate the protocol's advantage.

Totally agreed.

Nope, still true. Arny's (actually David Clark's box) ABX Comparator was an expensive tool.

I've never seen a price for it, but in this case was talking about the software tool, the so-called "pcabx" afair done by Arny Krueger and downloadable from the website he was running back then. IIRC available alread around ~1999/2000.
Beside doing an ABX without any additional hardware (like in the taste sensory test examples) it was suddenly possible to do it using a PC.

<snip>
I'm happy to report my Clark ABX Comparator is still working well after 37 years.
Agreed. 6-10 trials is never enough, even for someone experienced. You need more than that just to represent the results of varying stimulus music.

Good news about the Clark ABX; 6- 10 trials can be sufficient if the listener knows what to do and if his detecting abilities are high, 16 trials do not offer an real advantage and replications are always needed.

Again, any tool in uneducated hands most likely produces poor results. A hammer will do that too.

Totally agreed again.

Training is important to a specific type of test and desired data set. It's not to be assumed always essential, but often is. Even a bit of training like "here's what you're listening for" is sometimes better, but again, only if that type of data skew is beneficial.

Interesting how absolute we are, right?

See my remarks about the different meaning of "training", if not being used to the test conditions it would be more "can any listener detect a difference under the specific experimental conditions" instead of just "can anyone detect a differece" simply based on his listening abilities.

All of this just points out how difficult a good ABX test is to perform.

Agreed again,but not just an sound ABX but any good sensory experiments. It needs a clearly stated hypothesis, a really good design of experiments and well execution to achieve correct results.

Just to keep the thread on track, I would like point out that devising a good ABX test to compare network switches would be one of the most complex and expensive set ups yet.<snip>

Could be, but would depend on the hypothesis that should be examined.

And that forces indirect A (time delay) B subjective, sighted comparisons dripping with expectation bias.

Risk of impact due to expectation (being a bit pedantic wrt nomenclature, as Markw4 already pointed out in other threads, the term "expectation bias" denotes usually something different than bias of participants due to their expectations) can be high, but we don't know for sure if the impact was really strong.
Unfortunately humans seem to be always under the impact of lots of different bias effects and most of these are still at work even when used "blinding" in tests.

Last edited:
It depends on your test design. You can design a DBT asking the question: do you prefer A or B?

If there is a statistically valid difference, that's a good data point and implies there is an audible difference between A and B.

Jan

Gotcha, so a difference test would be a precursor to looking more deeply for a reason, whilst a preference test would be a precursor to.......errrr......something else entirely? ;)

Gotcha, so a difference test would be a precursor to looking more deeply for a reason, whilst a preference test would be a precursor to.......errrr......something else entirely? ;)

No, the difference test would be - when following the test orthodoxy - the precursor for a subsequent preference test and finally finding out what the specific reasons for the preference are.

The preference test allows to shorten the procedure (despite the risk of segmentation that I've mentioned regularly) - as a difference is implicitely given in case of a preference - and to start looking for the reasons for the preference.

Last edited:
It would be interesting if a preference test led to the reason being one of increased distortion, that wouldn't be what I would call "better" ;)

IIRC we've talked about the experiments done by Olson wrt listener preference for extended bandwidth before.
Although overall a clear majority preferred the extended bandwidth reproduction over the low pass filtered version, a surprisingly high percentage (afair ~3x%) of the listeners preferred the filtered version.

Methinks the quite strong intersubject variability was mentioned sometimes before.... :)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Whatever. I believe that basically you want to know if there is a statistically significant difference between A and B. I am just pointing out that the question can be phrased in different ways, all leading to the sought answer.

Let us say you have two colors, and you want to know if they are different. You can do an ABX to see if they can reliably identify A and B. Or you can ask 'which one is lighter' to see if they can reliably identify A and B. Many ways to skin etc.

The important point is that it is double blind, ears-only. Or in case of the colors, maybe call it double-deaf, eyes only ;-)

Jan

Not if you're trying to compare them and see which sounds better. In fact, it's exactly relevant.

I suggest you read up on IEEE 802.3 then you will understand it's impossible to apply an audibility test to an ethernet switch or any other networking device.

What is relevant is applying the correct test method to a device, if we learn anything from this thread you would be thinking that audiophiles were connecting a loudspeaker directly to an ethernet switch to conduct an audibility test.

I suggest you read up on IEEE 802.3 then you will understand it's impossible to apply an audibility test to an ethernet switch or any other networking device.
That kinda was my point.
1. What is relevant is applying the correct test method to a device, 2. if we learn anything from this thread you would be thinking that audiophiles were connecting a loudspeaker directly to an ethernet switch to conduct an audibility test.

1. Yes, that's what I've been trying to say
2. Oh come on.

I suggest you read up on IEEE 802.3 then you will understand it's impossible to apply an audibility test to an ethernet switch or any other networking device
The only problem I have with some of the switches (ethernet) would be their power supplies. Most - if not all - have SM power supplies. The quality of the SMPS could (might) cause some noise on the local power lines. Some of the SMPSs for the less expensive ones from China have little or no RF suppression. I can't provide hard data unfortunately.
The only way ethernet data can be corrupted is when an interface, be it electronically or physically compromised, looses connection on the target or source, and then there is no data flow i.e. no signal. As stated so often in this thread by many others, the 803.xx standard says 100% accurate or no data - point, not negotiable. As Indiglo says - READ UP.

Status
Not open for further replies.