Audiophile Ethernet Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect that like some popular video game, some of these "dreamed up" and amazing findings spewed forth from anonymous sources at the other end of the internet are designed to intrigue and lure the unsuspecting into a fog that nuts their brain, and perpetuates the stories for decades.
Video games are more lucrative and mind numbing though, be thankful for small mercies ;)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It is very common here on this forum that people have radically different opinions on SQ of something. Half say it's great, other half say it sucks. They can't all be right at the same time, so that is solid proof that about half of them are wrong.

Jan,

I do not think that is a valid argument. Add in the differences in hearing acuity, training & experience and indeed it can be true that "Half say it's great, other half say it sucks” and yet both are right.

I have had classical musicians listen to what i thot was a crappy little radio and thinking it is fine. Their brains were wired to fillin the missing bits and it did sound fine to them. Me, i just heard where all the missing bits should be and i thot its sonics were mediocre at best. Many times. Many people. It only takes one counter-example to disprove your premise.

You have to take in the statistical breadth/variance of the poulation of human ear/brains.

dave

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Jan,

I do not think that is a valid argument. Add in the differences in hearing acuity, training & experience and indeed it can be true that "Half say it's great, other half say it sucks” and yet both are right.
dave

This is a branch of logic I haven't encountered yet. ;-)

My logic would say, if the above is the case, there either is no accepted, valid metric for what is good and what is bad, or the test subject have no clue what they talk about. In either case, it is impossible to draw any valid conclusions as to the real, objective quality of what was tested.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have had classical musicians listen to what i thot was a crappy little radio and thinking it is fine. Their brains were wired to fillin the missing bits and it did sound fine to them.

What I said before. They interpret 'sounds good' as 'I like to listen to it'.
They did not interpret it as: this has a flat freq response, and no distortion, and low noise. Because that is not what they were interested in.

But if you want to find out whether an Ethernet switch makes a difference, it is not enough to collect opinions on 'do you like to listen to it', because we know there will be people that like to listen to anything even if it sounds like the kitchen radio, if the music gets them. I am guilty as well..

No, if you want to find out if an Ethernet switch makes a difference you need to compare, rigorously, like with like and remove all confounders.

And if you know that the digital values that arrive at the DAC are identical no matter what Ethernet switch, no matter in what order the packets arrive and are assembled, no matter via which route across the globe they traveled, you are open eyed fooling yourself if you expect the final result to sound different, based on different switches.

But if then you do a blind, rigorous test and you are convinced there is a difference, go look in a logical consistent way, not throwing out 'its the Ethernet switch' and display your logical reasoning prowess for all to see ;-)

Otherwise you are no better than the guy searching for his lost car keys under the lamp post, not because he lost them there, but because that's where there is light.

Jan

Last edited:
As 'Blind' as it gets; throw in an Ethernet cable (switch/USB cable etc.)/wait ten minutes, listen passively -go about the room doing different thing. Swap out for another, repeat.

IF one/same cable/change repeatedly offers up clearly better sound, there's your Blind/ABX test. Repeatedly. Day, after week, after month/year.

I have 40 years of (dedicated) hi-if experience, have set-up & sold, traded, compared, evaluated innumerable components and spoken to thousands of (hi-if) people, attended trade shows regularly all the while remaining committed to evaluating/confirming the utter importance of every single component/factor in the hi-if chain.

How about you ? Experience? Years (or hours) you've invested ?

pj

30 years working in recording studios, recording, mixing, editing, sound design. 8 hours a day listening . You count the hours. With all that experience you still dont know what a blind listening test is so excuse me for not believeing your ego centric opinions. Try learning someting.

Not certain about this. The vast majority of rabid objectivists have zero interest in sound. They would never even consider the notion of listening to what effects cables/switches may have. And why should they when it does not make any logical sense?

Good point. But that's the point ! Any rational/sensible person would desire to engage in the discussion/mystery by simply comparing. As you accurately state; " They have no interest in sound/music". That makes sense. And here's the problem; insecurity. Overwhelming insecurity; if something or someone doesn't have a graph/story/theory -to show/tell them what to think/feel or hear, they're lost -completely.
A fish-out-of-water, wailing/flailing around is what they become. Sad.

pj

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Good point. But that's the point ! Any rational/sensible person would desire to engage in the discussion/mystery by simply comparing. As you accurately state; " They have no interest in sound/music". That makes sense.
Please point to a rabid objectivist on this thread..
Being a music lover does not stop one from being technically informed or a subjectivist. Owning and using test equipment does not preclude having a collection of 10,000 or more albums.

And here's the problem; insecurity. Overwhelming insecurity; if something or someone doesn't have a graph/story/theory -to show/tell them what to think/feel or hear, they're lost -completely.

pj
Trying to head for the direct insults on people who don't share your views is not going to help at all.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Good point. But that's the point ! Any rational/sensible person would desire to engage in the discussion/mystery by simply comparing. As you accurately state; " They have no interest in sound/music". That makes sense. And here's the problem; insecurity. Overwhelming insecurity; if something or someone doesn't have a graph/story/theory -to show/tell them what to think/feel or hear, they're lost -completely.

pj

Sound reproduction is not something mystic. It's technology. Like a mobile phone call. Or flying to Mars. Or a quantum computer. Or finding the Higgs bozon in a particle collider. Or recording gravity waves. When we succeed with such technology it's because of confidence. Overwhelming confidence thanks to that there exists a graph/story/theory -to show/tell what to do, or otherwise it would all be lost -completely.

//

Jan,

Relativism at its best/worst. I am sure every dead philosopher just turned in their graves and every live one rolled their eyes.

I have had classical musicians listen to what i thot was a crappy little radio and thinking it is fine. Their brains were wired to fillin the missing bits and it did sound fine to them. Me, i just heard where all the missing bits should be and i thot its sonics were mediocre at best. Many times. Many people. It only takes one counter-example to disprove your premise.

You have to take in the statistical breadth/variance of the poulation of human ear/brains.

dave

Let me remind you of the Rule Notes.
NOTES
Trolling is posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community with the intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion. Threadjacking is the practice of taking over a thread by posting off-topic replies such that the original topic becomes diluted or lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.