Audiophile Ethernet Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
That has clearly been shown to not be the case. It is called jitter. The actual transmission of the data is an analog signal and it passes from a 0 to a 1 when the analog signal rises above a certain threshold. Jitter occurs when the timing of those pulses is not rendered accurately.

As long as a computer gets the info it doesn’t care about the timing, in digital audio all sorts of measures are often taken to ensure the correct timing of the 0s and 1s.

So proper passing of 0s and 1s is insufficient to garantee optimum sound, the timing is as critical.

dave

You are ignorant. Just suck it up. You don't understand how the ethernet/IP stack relates to a DAC. Please stay out of the discussion as you are miss-leading others.

//

That is technically possible. But applying common sense can help to find out if that is the case. Like swapping parts of the system, in a double blind test setup.
The problem with that is that it is cumbersome, needs lots of people and time and good preparation, so it almost never gets done or not done right to be trustworthy in a statistical sense.

It almost never gets done because the persons with the outrageous claims almost always rationalize (heh) away the validity of blind testing. Then they carry on living their lives depending of a whole host of items that wouldn't exist it it were not for blind testing.

As 'Blind' as it gets; throw in an Ethernet cable (switch/USB cable etc.)/wait ten minutes, listen passively -go about the room doing different thing. Swap out for another, repeat.

Recently i conducted a simple experiment, just to establish how far is the "ideal".

Ran the dac with the ethernet cable plugged at both ends, just one end, or not at all. That is with JCRiver where memory playback is enabled by default.

The results were interesting. Have you tested this yourself?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Just as a reminder. 100BaseTx which most setups will run is galvanically isolated, although unshielded. STP is available but it's a PITA as stiff. The clock is a smidge over 30MHz so anything underthat is expected to be signal and will be passed through but no chance of ground loops. So what could it pick up? Well measurements are available Archimago's Musings: MEASUREMENTS: On the value for ethernet "galvanic isolation"... which shows a smidge of mains frequency and sod all else.

If there is a problem, its not the switch and its not the Cat5e cable. Personally I can't hear mains hum 130dB down anyway. I must be getting old!

Joined 2013
Paid Member
If the switch has an effect on the sound as it travels from the storage device to the playback device, why doesn’t it have an effect on the sound as it travels from server to server, or from one storage medium to another?

In other words, what’s so special about travelling to a playback device that isn’t special about travelling to a non-playback device? Or do you need “audiophile grade” switches to download your music off the Internet too? Does downloading a lossless file with an audio grade switch make it sound “more defined” and “open” vs just using a bog-standard d-link?

what’s so special about travelling to a playback device that isn’t special about travelling to a non-playback device? Or do you need “audiophile grade” switches to download your music off the Internet too? Does downloading a lossless file with an audio grade switch make it sound “more defined” and “open” vs just using a bog-standard d-link?
When some say they are
committed to evaluating/confirming the utter importance of every single component/factor in the hi-if chain.
It does make one wonder if it's not just a matter of misguided control freakery

one should go right ahead and replace their ... toaster with audiophile grade units that don't cause their audiophile system so many problems.

Hmm. A new niche!

So, save a file that's been transferred using a standard ethernet switch. Then save a file that's been transferred using an audiophile switch. Compare the files. No change = no change.

I'm on satellite internet, do I need an audiophile dish/receiver to download music files?

Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hmm. A new niche!

So, save a file that's been transferred using a standard ethernet switch. Then save a file that's been transferred using an audiophile switch. Compare the files. No change = no change.

I'm on satellite internet, do I need an audiophile dish/receiver to download music files?

The least you could do is replace the caps in your dish receiver with Mundorfs, man!

Come on! Get with the program!

:D

Joined 2004
Paid Member
This is a fun thread.

The wise Nelson Pass likes to remind us ... this is entertainment. Have fun even if you are blindly spending your money that you probably have more than enough of. If it brings you joy just do it but don't ask for public validation or agreement.

Top 5 Most Expensive Dog Hair Cuts — Spoilt Rotten Dogs

Mariah spends $22K per year on dog grooming but who thinks that is money well spent.

If you honestly think a network switch makes any difference then have you ever wondered what hardware is used to manage trillions of dollars and euro every minute of every day including yours? How can banks use less than audiophile quality network hardware when the stakes are that high?

Just enjoy it and share pictures.

You are ignorant. Just suck it up. You don't understand how the ethernet/IP stack relates to a DAC. Please stay out of the discussion as you are miss-leading others.

//

Basically planet10 just pointed out that the argument of data integrity is insufficient.

Being convinced that an exchange of a "whatever" (like an ethernet switch in this case) can not lead to an audible difference is fine, but generally it helps to think about the premises that have to be true so that the conclusion is correct.

Plausible is not a synonym for correct; the list of interface protocols (and implementations) that never could lead to audible differences, but nevertheless did (or better to say where a physical possible reason for audible differences was found after through analyses), is quite long and the data integrity wasn't the reason in each case afair. It usually are second or third order effects.

If you remember the recent argument about the "data transport from server to server"; it illustrates where the models used for the argument differs from reality.
Data integrity is a necessity for any interface but it is insufficient for the mentioned conclusion.
(Disclaimer: That is just a general remark, I do not develop or sell ethernet switches nor have I done sensory tests on this kind of effects) :)

No. planet10 only demonstrated he has an incorrect understanding of how the FULL digital audio path works. I suspect you may not understand either. If you do understand, you're doing everyone a disservice by attempting to create doubt where none needs to exist.

1. Ethernet is not on the same clock domain as your data converter. Jitter only matters at the data converter. Any "jitter" on the network transport is completely irrelevant because the data is fully buffered at the endpoint before it gets clocked out into the DAC clock domain.

2. Standard Ethernet is galvanically isolated on both sides via pulse transformers.

Those are facts. Now tell me via what mechanism substituting one 100% compliant switch or Cat 5e cable for another affects the analog output. If you want to bring up some RF ingress bogeyman then bring measurements and hopefully you don't have any other cables attached to your precious box.

Recently i conducted a simple experiment, just to establish how far is the "ideal".

Ran the dac with the ethernet cable plugged at both ends, just one end, or not at all. That is with JCRiver where memory playback is enabled by default.

The results were interesting. Have you tested this yourself?

Memory playback, another piece of BS from people who don't know how computers work.

Your DAC is broken or you're hearing things. Pick one.

Go retrofit optical SFP transceivers to your gear and use fiber if you are this paranoid. Don't worry, you'll probably come back posting about how different optical fiber sounds different.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
; the list of interface protocols (and implementations) that never could lead to audible differences, but nevertheless did (or better to say where a physical possible reason for audible differences was found after through analyses), is quite long and the data integrity wasn't the reason in each case afair.

Well if the list is long lets have a few written down so we can see if they are applicable to ethernet.

If you do understand, you're doing everyone a disservice by attempting to create doubt where none needs to exist.
Isn't that what he means by "audio development"? Planet 10 does this too by making extraordinary claims without any extraordinary evidence, from an assumed position of authority, whilst simultaneously displaying a lack of basic understanding, there is evidence of that all over this forum.

My understanding is this :

Data from internet switch arrives at your ethernet to usb hardware bit perfect...of course

However the noise thats on ethernet lines and the phase noise on the data bits WILL modulate your CPU thus USB packets and find their way to your DAC.

Just want to add that galvanic isolation still leaks some noise into end device..

Is it very clear that THD+N will not change ...from the amount of reviews (positive) and reports, there is a correlation between SQ and those USB packets noise.

Last edited:
If the switch has an effect on the sound as it travels from the storage device to the playback device, why doesn’t it have an effect on the sound as it travels from server to server, or from one storage medium to another?

In other words, what’s so special about travelling to a playback device that isn’t special about travelling to a non-playback device? Or do you need “audiophile grade” switches to download your music off the Internet too? Does downloading a lossless file with an audio grade switch make it sound “more defined” and “open” vs just using a bog-standard d-link?

That has a simple explanation...as long as you keep the data on digital domain no effect.

When digital data changes to analog , noise on the DATA might change the perception of SQ. I say " might" because there is no proof looking at THD+N with AP machines .

Still , I generally put my trust into people (they listen to the music not the AP machine) and most hear a SQ bump..

Status
Not open for further replies.