Audiophile coaxial drivers????

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fair enough. L12 is small. 15-16cm would be about right.

Too late to edit my earlier post so I am quoting it.

How high can side mounted woofers be crossed (passive) over? 200Hz? 250Hz? 300hz?

I know the L12 is a small driver but if we cross it over high enough it could work na? Bass would be 2 (push-push) side mounted L22RNX/P (20 liters each would give a sealed Qtc of about 0.8) and a f3 of about 50-55Hz.

navin is correct on the A26 NEO 3 combo. I like simple and so always try the minimal approach first. In this case the A26 in a heavily stuffed box matched up beautifully with the B&G. I have been listening to this in my office for a couple years now and can report from much listening that the design is very musical without any persistent irritations... good enough to not warrant further complication.

Side Mounted Bass

How high can side mounted woofers be crossed (passive) over? 200Hz? 250Hz? 300hz?

Side is like rear mounting and should only be used for true SUB woofer duty.
Remember that although 250 HZ sounds low in a scale that goes from 20 to 20,000 it is actually in the range that we think of as mid when we hear it. 250hz is in the upper range of a male bass voice and lower range of a male tenor. Some altos will sing that pitch as it is roughly the B below middle C on any piano... hardly bass as we think of it.

Genelec use interesting Minimum Diffraction Coaxial element installed in wave guide that 8260A enclosure forms. There is no discontinities between tweeter, mid and enclosure.

http://www.genelec.com/documents/other/Genelec%208260A%20Technical%20Paper.pdf

We need diy alternative for this element, it's bit too expensive to hacksaw that from 8260A. I asked to see cross section view of their design in factory, but for some reason they didn't show that.:D

NHT used to use a crossover of about 100Hz. I remember SY had posted somewhere that the woofer crossover had a 12mh inductor! SY had even offered a solution to biamp the NHT 3.3.

I assume Morel and Audio Physic prefered to use a smaller inductor and hence crossover higher. I am told that Audio Physic uses drivers from Wavecor. Morel obviously use their own drivers.

Anyway this is digressing from the "Audiophile coaxial" topic.

Last edited:
I have some Altec 416s which are 15" bass drivers but with no choke they go up to around 7Khz. I have a single cap high pass on some Heil AMT dipoles from the 70s and it is a seamless sound, the woofers are more efficient than the tweeters and I can run them at high levels well under 10 watts.
I have been wondering as I look at the specs on these coax (I have a few different types in pairs from the 50s) and the tweeters are so much more efficient than the woofs that I don't see how you could get away from having an L-pad on top of the Xover. I think it would make my ears bleed to have that much more db out of the tweeters.
Thatch

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.