Audio-Technica AT-1005 II Tone Arm - Broken Connection

Hi - I came into possession of a turntable and it has an Audio-Technica AT-1005 II Tone arm, which seems to have its connection broken. I have very limited knowledge of any of the equipment but am keen to get the turntable working again. Does anyone know if this is something I should be able to fix at home or does it need more expertise then this, if so can anyone recommend anywhere in London that could fix this at a reasonable cost? Thanks

image1.jpg

image0.jpg

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Welcome to the forum!
You may be able to fix it yourself but there are steps and levels of investment in tools + skills. It depends on how interested you are in getting into "the craft". : )
Do you have a multimeter? If so , the first thing to do would be to put one probe on one end of each colour wire and the other probe on the other end and see if there is electrical continuity. If any of the leads are broken inside the tonearm then it's time to rewire the arm and that's another level of decision making. You could rewire it yourself or have it done.
If not then the ends you have photographed will need to be connected to a cable by some means or other and how it's done depends on what you'd like to use. None of this is complicated or terribly difficult. It just depends on how far into the diy side of it you want to go.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2011
Yes, first ohm test each wire from the cartridge end to the (missing) plug end.
If those readings are ok, then you can just resolder them to the plug. You also have the RCA cable?

The two black ground wires go to the middle ground pin. The red/black/white /green wires are the standard color coding for cartridges.
The other pin connections are best determined by ohming them out with the RCA cable attached to the plug.

Thanks everyone, really useful information - I'll test the wires and provided they all work get them reconnected. Will most likely solder them unless anyone can suggest anything that might be easier and less likely to break going forward?

I do also have the RCA cable and then a pre-amp to connect this into my current amplifier.

Reactions: 1 user