Audio System in a gym

Hello everyone, I have been asked to recommend suitable loudspeakers for a sound system for a calisthenics room in a gym.
The room is not very large but has quite considerable reverberation.
The amplifier is already present and is a Pioneer (I don't know the model, it is very similar to the a10ae) designed for a home hi-fi system, bi-zone.
As the customer doesn't want to spend a lot, I'd like to know what speakers I could buy to complete the system, he'd like 4 speakers, I have to use the bi-zone so I assume the speakers would need to be 8 ohm. What would you recommend?

Last edited:
In a reverberant space the throw of a loudspeaker is reduced by the square root of the number of Loudspeakers.

Thus if the sound quality or intelligibility of one loudspeaker is only acceptable at a distance of half the length of the room, then it will take four loudspeakers spaced out to cover the room properly.

So if you know the dimensions and all the surface materials it is possible to calculate the number of loudspeakers required. Or you can just use a small radio in the room and place it at one end but not in a corner and walk towards it from the other end and see where the sound level and quality improves. A sound level meter will rise by 3dB at what is called the “critical distance” if you just play noise.

The other issue will be frequency response. Low frequencies will have a shorter critical distance. Thus making it seem like there is more low end. As a result you can use smaller loudspeakers to get reasonable low frequency overall response.

I might look at an RCF M 06 loudspeaker.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Would you (or your friends) like to build the speakers from scratch or assemble a kit?
are the speaker just used for background music or are they (ab)used for the training?
I suppose a pair of econowaves (12" midwoofer+horn) would probably be robust enough for any use.

Reactions: 1 user
Would you (or your friends) like to build the speakers from scratch or assemble a kit?
are the speaker just used for background music or are they (ab)used for the training?
I suppose a pair of econowaves (12" midwoofer+horn) would probably be robust enough for any use.
it is a public gymnasium, they are usually used as background but there may be times where the volume is higher because the training is intense. It would also be interesting to build them as you said, I was also looking at other alternatives such as buying old 90s speakers

stv

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I would say CIare:yummy:
Yes, a Ciare HWB160 or HWG160 for woofer, for starters
Then find a tweeter, and the two need a crossover
then a box for the woofer

but you say DIY is a possibility
...very remote

But, hey! We're in Room's acoustics ...
So, a little update on this sound system, the owner of the gym found two old 90s NEC speakers and used them, I must say they sound good for the use, so another pair of speakers would have been useless. They're not great sounding but he's happy with them and that's fine!
Ah e siccome ho visto che sei italiano come me, ciao!