• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Audio SMPS units for sale

Processing orders....

Still 55$ each SMPS-600 !

Attachments

• IMG_20190126_131605.jpg
    IMG_20190126_131605.jpg
    949.5 KB · Views: 469
Last edited:
Hi Cresnet,

I have no schematic and you can assume I know very little about SMPS supplies :)

A while ago I bought 2 lab grade switched power supplies rated at 500V and 1.6A. These are very handy for prototyping tube amplifiers and i think there is a market for some acessible units without all the bells and whistles of the lab grade unit. I think a "decent" ripple, adjustable voltage and (max) current (both with multiturn potmeters) would be enough for most hobbyist. My question if that would be possible?

That was number 1. Number 2 is a planned stereo OTL Circlotron tube amplifier for a 32 ohm load. This would require 4x supplies between 170V and 190V, 600W each is enough: these are AB amplifiers, with standing current of a 150-200mA per PS, and peaks up to 3A. I see you have the 600W supplies available up to +-82V, can I just ignore the centertap and use them as a 164V supply? 164V could just do it, but ideally it should be a bit more - say 180V at 600W. Can you do that?

Many thanks for your attention and time!
Erik

Hi Cresnet,

I have no schematic and you can assume I know very little about SMPS supplies :)

A while ago I bought 2 lab grade switched power supplies rated at 500V and 1.6A. These are very handy for prototyping tube amplifiers and i think there is a market for some acessible units without all the bells and whistles of the lab grade unit. I think a "decent" ripple, adjustable voltage and (max) current (both with multiturn potmeters) would be enough for most hobbyist. My question if that would be possible?

That was number 1. Number 2 is a planned stereo OTL Circlotron tube amplifier for a 32 ohm load. This would require 4x supplies between 170V and 190V, 600W each is enough: these are AB amplifiers, with standing current of a 150-200mA per PS, and peaks up to 3A. I see you have the 600W supplies available up to +-82V, can I just ignore the centertap and use them as a 164V supply? 164V could just do it, but ideally it should be a bit more - say 180V at 600W. Can you do that?

Many thanks for your attention and time!
Erik

Yes, you could use the +-84VDC SMPS-600 ignoring the center tap.

I had some +-90V transformers, but I have to look for them.

Remember this is not a regulated SMPS.

Thanks

Just a quick one
1. Whats your switching frequency?
2. Do you have amp over-temperature shut down inbuilt ?

No, There is no input for external over temperature built into the SMPS-600.

Switching frequency is around 60KHz.

The upcoming version of the SMPS-600 and the SMPS-1200 will have many new futures fully covered.

Also let me know if you have other things to be covered.

Hope that helps

Last edited:
Thanks, that switching frequency is high enough and still low enough to still pack a punch.

No, There is no input for external over temperature built into the SMPS-600.

Switching frequency is around 60KHz.

The upcoming version of the SMPS-600 and the SMPS-1200 will have many new futures fully covered.

Also let me know if you have other things to be covered.

Hope that helps

Lets assume your smps was to become a component of a commercial design that requires to meet certain requirements
Some probably unecessary queries since this is 60kHz, probably same applies at 50Hz/60Hz :)

1. Are there any EMC standards that the SMPS has met?
2. Do you have any effective recommendations on shielding* the SMPS or the analog stages of an amplifier , by probably partitioning the chassis with walls? Braiding pairs or shielding all wire interconnects ?
3. How well behaved is the SMPS? Is a steep 40kHz HP filter necessary on the amplifier input stage?
4. Would a toroidal transformer rather than EI been more effective at reducing EMI ? How does she saturate ?
5. How have you addressed power efficiency** ? Does the supply turn off with no suitable input signal or no suitable load ?

For sake of modularity the protection and power efficiency could be provided by a separate PCB/module, while the smps remains purely smps to afford plug and play capability

*Borrowed from electronic design: In an ideal world, the perfect EMC enclosure would be manufactured from a heavy-gauge, dense material such as steel, and would have six solid, fully sealed sides, with absolutely no cables traveling in and out. However, we live in the real world, where EMC enclosures are much more interesting because they must provide effective EMI shielding while meeting some pretty inconvenient OEM system demands. These demands include slots and openings, heat management, power, I/O, data bus cables, and the ability to insert and remove single-board computers (SBCs) and line-replaceable units. Each of these requirements mandates special design considerations to understand the EMI problems presented and the solutions available.

**Power Topics for Power Supply Users: Department of Energy Level VI energy efficiency standards for external power supplies

Attachments

• protection.png
    protection.png
    204.4 KB · Views: 458