• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

audio research vs110

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am the owner of an audio research vs110 amplifier and I would like your designer to help me improve it since I do not want to part with it, putting another type of more musical valves (E288cc or ecc88 etc) also better step counters (dynamicap, auricap, mundorf etc) of course you would have to redesign the circuit.
Could you help me?

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hello, I am the owner of an audio research vs110 amplifier and I would like your designer to help me improve it since I do not want to part with it, putting another type of more musical valves (E288cc or ecc88 etc) also better step counters (dynamicap, auricap, mundorf etc) of course you would have to redesign the circuit.
Could you help me?

Could we ask why? What are you unhappy with?

My 2 cents worth: Don’t mess with it, unless it is broken and you really know what you’re doing. The VS110 is a very nice amplifier that is well-designed. It is unlikely that a haphazard redesign will improve it. The stock 6N1P tubes are good-sounding anyway. Replacing the coupling and other capacitors might provide slightly audible improvements, but that you can do value for value according to your taste and budget.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Could you help me?
The best help you can get is an advice : Don't mess with it !
Replace your speakers if you don't find the sound natural. Or sell the amp

unmolested and buy something cheap and use the remaining money to buy music.

If the tubes have a lot of hours on them maybe replacing them will be all that you need to do to refresh the sound. Buy from a reputable source that will match them under load. What speakers are you using and how big is the room they are in? Don't change the VS110 and maybe build a new less powerful amp from scratch. I'd bet you would regret messing with the ARC. If you its value will drop A LOT!

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.