• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

audio research sp16

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
phono sp16

Please respond only by removing the three resistors in series 10M oh I had and putting one of 1Moh he took the problem but I will change from 137k to 62k and the capacitor to 5nf
What kind of capacitor I put
Thank you so much

I'll tell you how it goes

Last edited:
Please respond only by removing the three resistors in series 10M oh I had and putting one of 1Moh he took the problem but I will change from 137k to 62k and the capacitor to 5nf
What kind of capacitor I put
Thank you so much

I'll tell you how it goes

I think you will be better off with my mod, and you will have the lower gain. The 5nf cap will be hard find with the voltage you need! Your RIAA will be much smoother but you will still have the overload your talking about.

Disabled Account
Joined 2013
I think you will be better off with my mod, and you will have the lower gain. The 5nf cap will be hard find with the voltage you need! Your RIAA will be much smoother but you will still have the overload your talking about.

Here is a better mod which only changed 2 components: 1st cathode resistor 732 to 1.2K and TRIM resistor to 3M while the rest are untouched. THD is 0.02%.

Last edited:
I can't comment much on hybrid topologies, I built an op-amp based phono stage years ago, using an Audionics CC-2 power amplifier w/pre that sounded pretty neutral, nothing to write home about. I simply prefer an all tube design, the sound is much more pleasing to the ear. I have an Arthur Fiedler RCA recording made back in the late 50's I believe that is simply a superb recording, the strings are well rendered.

I would also suggest another mod to the line stage section, replace the tube in the V3 slot to either a 12AU7 or 12CG7, AR's lineup of SP pre's this one and prior, were very picky when it came to SS amplifiers, and input impedance. Taking the 12AX7 out of the cathode Follower position would solve this, one may also have to change the cathode resistor probably 15 to 18k(2 watt) this would bring the output impedance down to about 300 or so ohms. For the life of me I cannot understand AR's reasoning on this.

Last edited:
AUDIO RESEARCH SP16

Hello have an audio research sp16
I have the problem that I have not connected the preamplifier fixed to the electrical network when I give it
To the stabilizer switch all the green leds of the same
Can somebody help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.