Audio Nirvana Super 8 in 5.6 cu. ft. Cabinet by David Dicks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Wow! That is one hell of a speaker if you ask me Mon.

I wouldn't blame you wanting to change your bookshelf speaker box to floorstanding.

Thank you Allen for the nice time and your hospitality. I can't forget the jokes your mother said - BTW, I retold them to my wife ... hehehe ... Your mother has good sense of humour.

My Own Floorstander Speaker

Hello this is my new floor stander speaker cabinet for Audio Nirvana Super 8. Please see the modified 5.6 cu.ft. cabinet originally designed by David Dicks but was modified by me.

Here is the link:
YouTube - AN Super 8 (new speaker cabinet)

Thanks for viewing.

Note: The video is better in actual listening session. However, the Audio Nirvana performance is successful in this new cabinet modification.
:)

I have to tell you, I also have built the 2.8 WITH additional speaker in the back of the cabinet. DO THIS. They sound incredible with the speaker in the rear instead of on top. My goal was to see if the rear speaker would help in keeping the lower frequency waves produced from the front from wraping around the baffle (BSC without the BSC). I think it works. The extra speaker in the rear is the way to go. I know the Primus album you are talking about...it sounds excellent. Also, if you have heard of MORPHINE (the band) listen to some songs. The bass guitar and sax sound real.

Thanks. The dimensions for the location of the drivers in the cabinet would be helpful as well as the wood used.

Thanks again,

After having made the first pair like suggested by David (extra speaker on top) and all MDF...I had not quite finished them completely. So, I scrapped them and decided that I was going to use a combination of plywood AND MDF. So I made the cabinets with MDF sides, and plywood on front, back, and top / bottom. I added a brace inside half way up that braced all four sides and had 4 big spaces for breathing room. I added 3 inch pink insulation to all the sides except the speaker sides, half way down the cabinet. I stapled it down to approximately 1 inch thickness. I added the extra speaker this time toi th rear because of my explanation from previoous post, in exactly the same location as the front (same as David's plans). The speakers a re wired in parallel so they react the same to the signal. I wondered what it would sound like if they were wired OUT OF PHASE, where as one goes out...while the other goes in. I never did this though. Regardless...they produce PLENTY of bass this way. Tight not boomy in any way. I use solid state AND tube amps and they both work excellently. I HIGHLY recommend this configuration.

That was a creative move. I had Maggie MGII's for years and enjoyed the bipolar sound but I never had them in a situation where I could get imaging.

Did David have any comments about your new approach to using the AN's? I haven't read of any other project like yours. Good Job!

One question. Did you wire them parallel or series? I don't think the out of phase response would be pleasing but who knows until you try it.

That was a creative move. I had Maggie MGII's for years and enjoyed the bipolar sound but I never had them in a situation where I could get imaging.

Did David have any comments about your new approach to using the AN's? I haven't read of any other project like yours. Good Job!

One question. Did you wire them parallel or series? I don't think the out of phase response would be pleasing but who knows until you try it.
I wired them as David suggests, parallel. They image wonderfully, even with the "ambience" effect from the resr speakers. If I recall correctly, David mentioned that he has tried this configuration but preferred the top mounted config instead. But, I'm not sure. Its been a while since I had spoken to him about this. I also own the least expensive maggies...I forget the model, and I love them for what they can do.

I ask David about using an acoustic lens for a vertical firing 8 but he didn't believe it was necessary, that front firing was fine. I was thinking about a single vertically mounted 8 firing into an acoustic lens thinking helping the smoothness of the high end. Roger Russell has quite a bit of experience with Hegeman designs that used them. I guess I'll stick with one of David's standard enclosures unless my treasury increases. If that happens, then I'll consider your design.

Thanks for sharing.

I ask David about using an acoustic lens for a vertical firing 8 but he didn't believe it was necessary, that front firing was fine. I was thinking about a single vertically mounted 8 firing into an acoustic lens thinking helping the smoothness of the high end. Roger Russell has quite a bit of experience with Hegeman designs that used them. I guess I'll stick with one of David's standard enclosures unless my treasury increases. If that happens, then I'll consider your design.

Thanks for sharing.

NoProb.

Ill try and post some pics of mine in the next few days in a new thread.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.