Audio Nirvana Classic 12 and Classic 15: how new are these?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll have to find out what you mean after I see what your speakers are. Sounds like your saying their like mine and your suggesting a better placement for them. I'll definitely try itNorm.
I've got everything on its way to my home except for the wood. I contacted a local cabinet shop and asked to have the ply cut. I included a diagram from CS audio, but no luck. Seems like they're too busy. Oh well. I'll have to do it myself. No big deal I'll buy a new blade and dust off the old table saw and have at it. I've got about 12 days to get it done and I'm hoping I do. I'd like to listen to music before I leave. I'm curious how the system will work in my livingroom/listening room. It's a fairly decent size room. 20'x30' with drywalled ceiling and walls, vaulted ceiling. The vaulted ceiling peaks at 14' with the peak splitting the long side of the room in half. The left wall has a 12' glass sliding door that I'll cover with black out curtains from Moonbeam. They had sound proof drapes too but, they were over my budget. The customer service was great, real quick with answers. The sound proof drapes worked best on high and mid range frequencies.
Well I'm excited to see how my room works or how its gonna need tweeking. I'm going to enjoy the learning experience.
I've always wanted a decent sound system since I was in high school back in the 70s, when teens were REAL teens. I really don't know what I mean by that. Just kinda popped into my head. I might use it on my son and daughter though.
Hey! Anyway this site has been my favorite read for hours on different days. I've picked up so many pointers as well as realizing I know so little. Great forum.The people on this forum have already helped me out a lot.

My question for this thread is that why aren’t one of the”experts” offering a good correct cabinet for the audio nirvana drivers since the ones common sense has are criticized for not being a mathematically correct please indulge me I have 5 pair laying around and would love to have a box for at least one size driver, after all there are cabinets for every other driver out there that work fairly well !!!!!!????? Thank you

Last edited:
Hmm, seems like there's been a number of them posted by me n' others, but don't have all my old sims loaded, so which driver do you have and measured specs since historically they're pretty far off.

GM

edit: noticed the tube amp with > 3 DF, so unless an actual measured output impedance comes with it will assume 2.57 ohms, which will cause an increase in 'ideal' cab volume [Vb], though tuning still ideally needs to be at driver actual Fs.

Last edited:
That's the problem, and one reason some people don't work with them as much as some other units: as GM noted, historically, their published data has sometimes been a good way from what people have measured. They're not alone in this; some variability is to be expected, but even accounting for production tolerances and different measurement proceedure, some [as in 'some' not 'automatically all'] were a fair way off. Hopefully this has since improved, as especially in the larger size units there aren't many equivalents currently available.

Last edited:
5.25” nirvana classic in large port small bookshelf

A buddy of mine bought these 5.25” classic nirvana driver's used and played with them in several boxes until he came upon this combo, 4” front port, very small bookshelf cab
I’ve added a Seas 27 TFF cloth domed tweeter facing upward at a 30 degree angle open baffle 4.7 uf quality cap
with my 10 watt class A amplifier in a 14’ x 20’ room listened in a nearfield 6’ feet away position among the best sound I’ve heard in 45 years of the hobby!

Total investment under sub $300 CDN

SOUND PRICELESS!

I've met David and talked to him recently about the AN "Classic" line.
I bought some 3" Classics and put them in a 20-inch Cornu spiral ... they sound amazing.

David told me that he's trimming down the variety of sizes he produces. He's no longer making the 5-inch or 5.25 inch model. It's just 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 etc.

Maybe the 6-inch model could work for you?

Gosh darn I wish I could, but my living room simply won't support them.
My grand plan is to move house this year and build the monsters... hehehe.

Can't decide if boffle like you have done Bigun, sealed or some sort of Karlsonator would work best for them though!

With your boffle Bigun, do you feel you need a sub to augment the bass or does it go deep enough? (~40Hz?)

I think the speaker box I made is larger than it needs to be and I have even given thought to cutting it down. I could probably take 2 foot off the bottom of it. As it is, the bass is pretty good and I’ve never felt any need to augment it. Perhaps it doesn’t have the slam that my transmission line speakers made by PMC exhibit when driven hard, but I’ve read that open baffle tends to have a more realistic bass. In my case it certainly goes deep enough, loud enough and without any obvious deficiency, mostly being limited by the room and not the driver and although I haven’t measured it I have little doubt the low frequency response is not perfectly even as is usually the case when the room gets involved. I would go so far as to say that this 15 inch driver meets all my requirements for low frequency and high frequency. The high frequency dispersion is very impressive.

The only other full range speaker that I have recently listen to are a stereo pair of bass reflex enclosures using the mark audio a 10.3. these also have very good low frequency response and a much smaller box. I might recommend the use of the paper driver instead of the metal driver but where space does not allow a larger box I would recommend this as a good approach.

Just in case you get brave, you could think about a medium sized box built around the 12 inch super ferrite drivers.

And if for an even more crazy reason you would be interested to consider a single mono speaker then the 12 inch driver becomes quite realistic. I won’t attempt to convince anybody that listening in mono is as good as stereo but I will tell you that for casual listening in my family room it is not possible to have good stereo sound. The reason is a combination of limitations in placing the speakers and the diversity of positions for sitting down to listen so that no sweet spot is practical. My attempts at installing stereo in my family room and not just my current house has always resulted in a fight between my stereo and the room. I have had the best experience with stereo in my basement which is unimpeded by other considerations.

I have adopted mono for my casual listening and it does not fight with the room but illuminates all possible seating positions with great sound. I do not feel that I am missing any benefit from stereo and I can focus my efforts on the very best quality obtainable from a single channel of amplification.

Last edited:
Thanks Bigun,
I own a pair of 15s, but they have sat in their shipping boxes for over a year. I saw them going second-hand from a seller nearby me and at the time knew that Dave had discontinued the ferrite super 15s so I jumped on the sale.

It hasn't stopped me wondering what enclosure would be best for them though! WinISD gives terrible alignments for them though for anything under 400 litres or so...

well now !! so you have a pair already.
what on earth are you thinking ! just get them unpacked, check for damage, then put them away somewhere wired up to an old receiver to break-in for a week or so.

Get some plywood and knock up some experimental boxes, screw the alignment, go boffle and do some trial and error to see how small a box you can get away with. Just go !

Hey, this is exciting :D

Haha, believe me I am looking forward to building an enclosure for them, but my living room simply won't support them. It's an open-plan kitchen/living room and my 45L 8" Alnicos are imposing enough in this room as it is!
I also can't go any wider than the 45L cabinets or they will obscure our screen. Such a bummer but it is a good impetus for me to work on moving house!

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.