Audio Grade SMPS

Screenshot of KSA50 output into 7.5r at10v (through 20db attenuator)

Only the spike at 20Khz is unusual otherwise noise overall inc power supply shows nothing of note.

Attachments

• SMPS+CMC.jpg
    SMPS+CMC.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: 1 user
I mostly see big advantages with a SMPS over a "linear":

An SMPS is normally regulated, meaning it keeps the voltage under load.
-This is not true for a "linear" PSU and this calls for large caps to help keeping the voltage constant under load.
-There have been amps both DIY and commercial implementing a regulated linear PSU, but the PSU becomes as big and complex as the amp itself

The SPMS is normally cheaper and much smaller for the same wattage compared to a "linear"

The ripple on an SMPS is typically determined by the ESR of the output caps, so if you want lower ripple go for types with lower ESR. Actually talking about grade, then the term "computer grade" caps actually refers to low EST and high Ripple Current capability, and was a term coming up in the 80'es or there around, as caps at that time where for sure not all suited to fit into a PC SMPS ;)

Problems with SMPS are if they are not of really good quality, that overloading them might kill them with a bang ..... have tried it a few times ..... most of the over current circuites are not really working the way they should.

Today I would for sure not bother with a linear PSU for an amp. ..... look at the pro market ...... they go for performance and high capacity .... with amps capable of delivering many kW continuasly from a SMPS ... go for it ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Closed, prejudiced mind.
Your opinion would carry some weight if you had some evidence such as products you have been able to compare.

I guess you dismiss all tube amps due to their inferior distortion, poor damping factor and low PSRR!
I can't take this reaction serious also...

Wel if it measures good, it must be good. The new generation hifi people i guess :sad:
Good luck with your hifi SMPS stuff.

The problem with a supply that actually does that is when your amp/speaker briefly demands more current than that. It will cause the amp to drop out, and not in a nice way. Unless of course the supply is oversized so this never happens. Good luck with that, hope you have deep pockets. The bean counters that design the consumer and even pro stuff never do. The worst offenders are the junk they put in powered speakers.

1) The amp is Class A so relatively constant current until the amp switches ito AB if it does.

2) The psu is overspecified (10times the amp's RMS power) and each channel has it's own.

3) I'm using it for mid drivers in a fully active system (150-3kHz)

4) As I said erarlier, I probably wouldn't chose one for an AB amp for the reason you mention, i.e transient response - can an smps respond fast enough for a bass drum kick for example?

I'm keeping an open mind and if I don't like the results I'll reconsider but at least I am going to try rather than speculate on how good/bad an smps might be.

There is an overly romantic view of things old, I think.

A well constructed / implemented SMPS will handle transients much better than a linear supply, simply because it is regulated and will keep the voltage constant.
Can you deplete it of energy, sure thing, but with normal music (not test signals) with a normal crest factor, this will not happen.

If you have been to a big concert recently you will have felt the transients of the kick drum or bass guitar. With a probability of ca 95%, produced by class d amps with SMPS.
Today serious pro speakers are designed for really high power, which can only be delivered by class d/smps.

Class A for smps, here you for sure need to ensure it will be able to support the power sustained. A factor of x10 sounds reasonable. Heat will be the first problem to secure.