• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Audio Cable Deathmatch!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
While I don't take $$$ cables seriously, I have found improvements by using affordable high capacitance / low inductance speaker cables (when the amplifiers don't object to the load). Kimber 4PR does "sound" pleasantly better than similarly priced zip cord when used with my more-tolerant amplifiers, and I have no doubt that the effects are measurable.

An interesting study:

http://www.bruce.coppola.name/audio/cableInteractions.pdf

'Dr Bob' and his brother deserve medal for so conclusively debunking such an entrenched audiophool myth.

I guess they must have used a big Krell to drive the 0.1 ohm load presented by twisting coat hanger wire together - the resultant lightshow and smell of ozone should have added greatly to the ambience of the experimental setting.

Anyone know where they managed to get the magic solder used to connect the steel wire ? I want some ! Perhaps it was that Western Electric Nassau stuff that goes for a king's ransom on ebay.

Me - I just use some high carbon charred rope I found at the local tip. Using a clove hitch at each end saves a bundle on audiophool approved connectors. The volume drops off a bit during dry weather, but if you give them a light hosing they come up like new......

mach1 said:
Anyone know where they managed to get the magic solder used to connect the steel wire ? I want some ! Perhaps it was that Western Electric Nassau stuff that goes for a king's ransom on ebay.

Use acid core to tin, then neutralize with baking soda. Can then be soldered with silver solder approved for audiophile use ;)

mach1 said:
Me - I just use some high carbon charred rope I found at the local tip. Using a clove hitch at each end saves a bundle on audiophool approved connectors. The volume drops off a bit during dry weather, but if you give them a light hosing they come up like new......

Use one of those supermarket auto sprinklers used for produce. Also have a refrigeration effect for using tube equipment on hot summer days. Not CE approved or reccommended of course :clown:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.