Audibility of output coils

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
myhrrhleine said:
All it takes is a sweep gen. to hear the drivers go into and out of alignment (cancellation of sounds)

Certainly if you hear this with a sweep you know you have
encountered a problem, however a sweep won't reveal some
of the serious phase shifts which are not accompanied by
amplitude variation.

For example, in developing crossovers, it is very common to have
a woofer/midrange transition measure flat on a frequency
response curve, only to have an awful audio result.

If the phase of the woofer and mid aren't reasonably aligned at
the crossover point, a transient attack can be robbed of its
impact, and the whole thing ends up sounding muddy.

:cool:

I just talked with Jack Bybee. He is 77 years old and has access to hi fi playback systems worth 1/2 million dollars. He attended a live symphony concert in San Francisco, on Friday. He still maintains that we are not nearly there yet. Still, many here, hear no difference. Oh well.

john curl said:
I just talked with Jack Bybee. He is 77 years old and has access to hi fi playback systems worth 1/2 million dollars. He attended a live symphony concert in San Francisco, on Friday. He still maintains that we are not nearly there yet. Still, many here, hear no difference. Oh well.

There is mass-fi for those who hear no difference.
Or don't care.
I freely admit there are times I don't care.
There are times I'm happy with the portable boom box I paid $30.00 for.
and then there are times when it does matter.
That the masses don't hear or possibly don't care about 'coil sound' doesn't mean that there is none.

Personally, I'm glad it was pointed out :)

Assuming the amp wouldn't distort without the output coil, I believe many people here could hear the difference. The problem is separating the mechanism that cause audible degradation of voice coils, since there are at least 2 obvious mechanism, frequency response and phase shift. Other effect is subtler to rationalize but it's there.

PMA said:
Rodolfo,

with deep respect, yes, but never forget to evaluate in practice. That is the only way how to evaluate model shortcomings and a kind of underestimation.

No doubt it is a reality check Pavel, and if it sounds bad then we must check where we screwed up or forgot in our measurements.

Then there is the risk of somehow not being willing or able to discern when listening, so one must be healthily wary anyway.

From the subsequent posts it is clear that we are all well aware about how far we are currently from perfect reproduction yet this in no way means our efforts are useless, on the contrary yield lots of joy and fun.

Rodolfo

Nelson Pass said:

Mr. Pass,

Have you ever tried or listened to a multiway active system with digital linear phase crossover?

I have had not the chance but am curious about how significant it may be from the listening point of view (in theory it should).

Rodolfo

Nelson Pass said:

Certainly if you hear this with a sweep you know you have
encountered a problem, however a sweep won't reveal some
of the serious phase shifts which are not accompanied by
amplitude variation.

If the phase of the woofer and mid aren't reasonably aligned at
the crossover point, a transient attack can be robbed of its
impact, and the whole thing ends up sounding muddy.

:cool:

I agree.
I was just simplifying..
I used the sweep in the '70s for clues.
That was before I built TDS/TEF measuring equipment.
Amazing what we can hear when we know what to listen for.

OK - thanks

Only I wonder if one sits in a concert hall in the good seats - lets say 20 meters from the conductor - I wonder to what extent the sound is rolled off in the high frequencies, and then again how much if one is 40 meters away

...and I also wonder what network on an amp o/p would truly reflect this roll off.

what I'm getting around to is this:

Is the effect of an o/p coil on an amp any worse than moving back a few rows in a concert hall or does it have some unpleasant effect that is unnatural and would never be replicated in the acoustic world ?

We cannot compare attending live concert to auditioning home systems.

In live concert, at least there are 2 senses that are being excited, the ears AND the eyes. This gives more impact to the brain (our feeling) than if it is only the ears like in auditioning home systems.

You can try to attend live concert with your eyes wrapped with black cloth all the time from the beginning to the end, you will not be so excited like usual.

Beg to differ with you on this - When I have had the great pleasure of hearing a truly great musician like Mitsuko Uchida playing live it's my ears that transport me - perhaps the feeling in the room helps.

but never-the-less does anyone know the answer this question

What network would represent air ?

is it much different from a coil and some capacitance ?

GK

Disabled Account
Joined 2006
mikelm said:
OK - thanks

Only I wonder if one sits in a concert hall in the good seats - lets say 20 meters from the conductor - I wonder to what extent the sound is rolled off in the high frequencies, and then again how much if one is 40 meters away

...and I also wonder what network on an amp o/p would truly reflect this roll off.

what I'm getting around to is this:

Is the effect of an o/p coil on an amp any worse than moving back a few rows in a concert hall or does it have some unpleasant effect that is unnatural and would never be replicated in the acoustic world ?

How big an output coil are you talking about??????????
Those of sizes typically used in audio power amplifiers cause a totally inaudible attenuation of high frequencies in the audio band.

Status
Not open for further replies.