Artifact in music, source or player?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I listen to flac files with a Raspberry Pi + i2s DAC. I hear an cracking artifact in one of the songs. I tried with a different amp & speaker but the artifact is audible with those as well. I suspect either the recording is bad or the player... I cannot hear this artifact playing through a laptop's headphone out.
Please help identify the problem by downloading and listening this flac file with your setup: https://we.tl/AGUHsBgDxl (just for testing purposes, I hope it's not against the rules posting links to songs).
The cracking artifact is in the singer's voice, most pronounced at 0:54-1:16, 2:00-2:26, 2:58-3:13.
Thank you.

I'm using Moode Audio Player on the RPi2, with software volume control disabled. I have the Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO, v1. If I enable software volume control, I don't hear the cracking until volume set at 92 (with replaygain off). Above that the cracking sound starts. There are some other tracks that are affected, but not many.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.