Argos Tapered Pipe ?s

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
They're finally home, and I love them. Very dynamic and bright compared to the muddy 301s I had before. Now I just have to tweak things and break them in.

I was wondering, however, the adverse affects of mixing speakers on a surround setup. I'd like to do a small line array center with a matching rear array. Right now, my fronts, center, and rear are already all different, so I guess it couldn't really get worse .

Oh, and I'll get a better pic of them by themselves if you want.

1005-1.jpg

Glad you like them :))

A better pic , would be cool, I could add it to my web site, if that's ok.

They came out really looking nice, great job. My younger brother's pair looks almost the same, (different tweeter though).

AS for surround bits and pieces, why not have a look at how I did the speakers for a friend of mine, Terry.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gradds55/ARGOS/terry's.html

I can send more info if I can still find it.

ps. if you still find them a bit bright after a few weeks of acustoming your ears to reasonably flat response, just play with the resistor in line with the tweeter , even 1 ohm either way can make the required difference.

Let me know if this one'll work. It's like trying to move very fat children.

1011-1.jpg

And these just for the hell of it.

1013.jpg

1014.jpg

I've really enjoyed building these, and the challenge and price definately paid off in the end.

I'll be making a matching center and bookshelf surrounds eventually, but now I think it's time to focus on my substage. Any suggestions to match with the rolloff of the pipes. I just picked up a 12" TC9. I'll probably try asking in the subwoofer board too.

Interesting...... I always point my terminal plugs downwards because if I forget to unplug before moving a speaker, the bananas will pull out rather than pulling at right angles.

I know there is always the arguement that if the leads pull out they may touch and short, but I nearly always switch off before moving things, even if I do forget the leads.. DOH !
Plus my amp on speakers I might move regularly will protect itself against shorts.

What do others think on this point.?

Ok, so it's been a few months now, and after generous listening time and several irritated neighbors, the towers have been well broken-in. I love them. They sound great with anything I throw at them. I like them best in 2-channel stereo with my subwoofer, but they blend well even with my mismatched center and rear speakers.

The terminal cups are only tighly fit into the holes, so they're easily flipped. I hadn't really thought about the way the wires pull, so thanks for the tip.

Thanks for such a great project design. I couldn't be happier!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.