Are you really interested in 'Hi-Fi'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
By "can't measure" I mean unable to measure, even in principle. In reality it may not even as bad as that: there is only weak evidence that we can hear anything which we don't measure, but I do not want to close the door on future developments. This is certainly my belief, just as the opposite position appears to be the belief of some others. The issue is 'which belief is most strongly founded on evidence?'.

For the avoidance of doubt, I will say again that I believe that we already know most of what needs to be known for hi-fi so discussion should be around whether we know 90%, 95% or 99%. I have little sympathy for people who believe that we know 20% or 50%, or that most of what we do know is wrong - fortunately it usually turns out that such people are not actually interested in hi-fi at all, however fervently they believe the opposite.

A quick test is to listen to music down a telephone line (4khz bandwidth, maybe 10% distortion?): if it sounds like the real thing to you then you don't need hi-fi; if it doesn't sound like the real thing then you have just confirmed that bandwidth and THD tell us something useful.

I agree to this. At least when it comes to the part of the sound reproduction system where the (music) information is representation in an electrical format , be it analog or digital, stored or in transit. What is lacking to progress the art is where the information goes form mechanical to electrical and vice versa - that is the sound pressure recording and generation phases. Maybe not in so much that this cant be made with reasonable absence of distorsion (level, phase and absence of over and under-tones/IM) but rather the aspect of directivity and direction.

I dont think the reason for me not being properly fooled is due to 0,02 % THD but rather, it's the detection of reflections and direction of these, both at recording as well as reproduction, that give it away. In here lies the challenge and it is here that a new "HiFi norm" needs to specify the circumstances of how to record and replay in order to be properly fooled. The stuff in between is easy and nowadays well provided for.

//

I stand by that; words have meanings, which they should retain when combined together and abbreviated. I see no conflict......

"No conflict" is imo something different. I only questioned that it is self-explanatory (just by the meaning of word) i.e. that "high fidelity" means "more to the real thing" to a majority of people. I think this thread gives some reason to question the "self explanatory" part, but due to the interests might be a distorted version. So maybe - asking just other people, or linguists would show - you are right.

This is precisely why careful listening tests are needed to establish what level of electrical performance is needed for hi-fi. Most people can't do the tests themselves, just like most other things in life, so they rely on others to do them and report the results.

To learn what parameters are needed for hi-fi you need to do the right experiments - comparing real with reproduced. Talking about all the other experiments that people might do is irrelevant.

My point right from the beginning was, that these experiments - comparing real with reproduced - were not the foundation of audio development.

And still there is no evidence provided that those experiments were done. As a scientist you know what it means if you can´t provide evidence for such a basic assertion.

<snip> This all, of course, has nothing to do with determining what level of electrical performance is need for hi-fi, as that requires careful tests on a lot of people.

That misses the reason for our discussion and narrows the topic (i think for the first time?) to electrical performance, while we were in fact discussing the whole chain including room and listener. See my examples for more or less apparent source width, envelopement or precision of stereo image.

Why do you persist in arguing for preference all the time? It plays no role in defining hi-fi or determining the requirements for hi-fi, yet you seem to imagine that you see it in almost everything I say. Let me help you: if I seem at any point to include preference when talking of hi-fi then you can assume that I have not expressed myself as well as I intended to.

I did mention (wasn´t it in my last post) that you insisted a listener choosing from preference were not seeking for "high fidelity" although the poster already wrote that is was more "high fidelity" to him.

You were unfortunately a bit meandering in your definition of "high fidelity" as it was sometimes "indistinguishable" and sometimes "more of the real thing" as a compromise.

If it is more of a compromise then a "preference part" is included by definition.
If it is "indistinguishable from the real thing" then there would be - in the contrary of further tests that you demanded or at least feel to be necessary - only need for further tests if human listening capabilities were enhanced.

Everything else would have to admit that the "high fidelity" of the majority is only exactly that which means there are a lot of people that would need much less than that and of course a lot of people (or at least some) that would need much more and therefore - as there any system might diverge in different dimensions - includes a preference part, because performance overall might be similar or even equal but different in detail.

stvnharr said:
I tend to think this is an exceptional circumstance to find a situation where there is this sensitivity of resistor value to have profound sound quality impact.
I would have thought this was normal, but you have the advantage of knowing what this resistor did in the circuit and how much you changed the value. Certainly changing the bias of a stage from wrong to right will have an effect on sound quality. A small increase in gain may be misheard as an increase in quality. Almost any change in frequency response will be audible.

If you filled in some of the details for us we may join you in your surprise, or we may conclude that what you heard was exactly what we would expect.

morinix said:
Stvnharr, you are getting a glimpse into a world of audio design that transcends test and measurement. Most here in this forum, and the wider world of common EE design technique for that matter, will be detractors. Keep on your path.
Sadly, most people who believe that they are 'transcending' test and measurement (i.e. normal engineering design techniques) are in fact falling significantly short of these. They diss that which they do not understand.

Johhny2Bad said:
There is no such thing as an "audiophile system". Audiophiles are people, in particular people who enjoy listening to reproduced music, while systems are made of machines.
I was using a noun as an adjective. This is a normal technique of English, and presumably other languages too. Sorry if this confused you. As you say, audiophiles like listening to reproduced music; sadly, some of them prefer this to real music. This distinguishes them from hi-fi enthusiasts (an old-fashioned term, I know), who always prefer real music when they can get it.

TNT said:
I dont think the reason for me not being properly fooled is due to 0,02 % THD but rather, it's the detection of reflections and direction of these, both at recording as well as reproduction, that give it away. In here lies the challenge and it is here that a new "HiFi norm" needs to specify the circumstances of how to record and replay in order to be properly fooled. The stuff in between is easy and nowadays well provided for.
OK. Yes, it is the transducers and their use which are the weak link. Hence it is strange when people get worked up about minor flaws, real or merely imagined, in the electronics and the cables.

You are talking about speakers and room acoustics. For DACs, preamps, amps and cables, you can but you don't need to compare that way.

It's been mentioned earlier.

You joined the discussion a bit late and therefore imo didn´t notice that we were discussing the whole chain including loudspeakers, room and listener.
So it doesn´t matter if you believe that certain parts of the reproduction system can or can not be the reason for a specific effect it just matters that this sort of effect occurs.

When, where and who's done those experiments?

A good basis for understanding in general gives:
Fastl/Zwicker; Psychoacoustics - Facts and models

And for the reproduction side:

Floyd Toole; Sound reproduction

Both include comprehensive reference lists for further examination.

Jakob2 said:
And still there is no evidence provided that those experiments were done. As a scientist you know what it means if you can´t provide evidence for such a basic assertion.
So you believe that things like 20Hz-20kHz bandwidth are the result of some engineers sitting in a smoke-filled room and dreaming up some numbers from thin air? Or playing some music through a system and adjusting it until it sounded 'nice'?

You may also be confusing absence of evidence with evidence of absence; scientists understand this distinction. The fact that I can't provide a citation is not evidence that the tests never took place.

FMRI studies have shown brain activity in response to frequencies above 20kHz. Some people can apparently tell if the frequencies are present without being able to hear them. In other words, the mental experience of the frequencies being present is not the same as the mental experience of hearing lower frequencies, or not the same as what we would normally consider to be "audible."

Probably doesn't have much to do with music enjoyment, but we don't know a whole lot about it quite yet.

Afair it started with Oohashi et al. doing experiments including Pet scans and psychoacoustic evaluation as well. (Hypersonic Brain Effect)
Quite special music was used but the participants, while not detecting the high frequency spectrum above 20 kHz when presented alone, did enjoy the music including the high frequency spectrum more .
There were several follow-up studies done, the most recent one afair from 2014 or 2015.

And of course there was much debate about the validity of Oohashi´s studies and conclusions.

So you believe that things like 20Hz-20kHz bandwidth are the result of some engineers sitting in a smoke-filled room and dreaming up some numbers from thin air? Or playing some music through a system and adjusting it until it sounded 'nice'?

Come on DF96, you asserted that these requirements (for example 20 - 20 kHz bandwidth) were based on comparisons of the "real thing" with reproduction of the "real thing" and i insisted several times that these experiments were done with comparisions of limited stimuli and unlimited stimuli (wrt to the parameter under examination) and quite often the stimuli weren´t even music.

Maybe you could have a look at the two books i mentioned in my answer to Evenharmonics, afterwards you´ll know much better about the studies done in the audio field.

You may also be confusing absence of evidence with evidence of absence; scientists understand this distinction. The fact that I can't provide a citation is not evidence that the tests never took place.

Please just reread what i´ve written. :)

If you present something as a fact you should be able to provide evidence. If it is more a hypothesis about what you think took place in the past, then you should present it as such.

And if you want, i dig deeper in my archive and provide a citation about Olson´s experiments which provided the basis for the bandwidth enhancement, but weren´t a comparison between "life" vs "reproduction".

au·di·o·phile
ˈôdēōˌfīl/
noun
a hi-fi enthusiast.

I guess we are thinking of a particular type of audiophile?

I was not aware that the discussion about audiophiles was already vivid in the 1950´s (or even earlier?) but in the Hartley´s book that you mentioned he wrote already about the distinction between musik lovers seeking for high fidelity and audiophiles seeking for sound effects (i.e. more enhanced than in reality).

Gnobuddy already mentioned that Stokowski preferred already in the 1930´s to use the controls for enhancement of dynamic. (Afair Leopold Stokowski Legacy contains some photographs where Stokowski was sitting at the control while Fletcher looking a bit concerned)

Jakob2 said:
If you present something as a fact you should be able to provide evidence. If it is more a hypothesis about what you think took place in the past, then you should present it as such.
Perhaps you are now failing to distinguish between formal discussions (in person or in writing) of a learned society, and informal discussions on a forum (which are more like a normal conversation). I said what I believe to be true. You have said what you believe to be true. Can we leave it at that? I am tired of this argumentativeness. Perhaps it is true, as has been alleged, that commercial considerations play a role in this?

Perhaps you are now failing to distinguish between formal discussions (in person or in writing) of a learned society, and informal discussions on a forum (which are more like a normal conversation).

You wrote in the past about your attitude as a scientist and the need to educate others in forums like this, did i take it too serious?

If so, my apoligies for being too persistent.

I said what I believe to be true. You have said what you believe to be true. Can we leave it at that? I am tired of this argumentativeness. Perhaps it is true, as has been alleged, that commercial considerations play a role in this?

You mean, providing speculations instead of evidence is less tiresome after all? ;)

The ITU had of course their own set of requirements (carefully avoiding the phrase "high fidelity" and using "high quality" instead :) ) for the whole broadcasting chain, which was pubished as ITU-R BS.644-1 :

https://www.itu.int/rec/R-REC-BS.644/en

It was further supplemented in various other publications that the elements of the chain must comply to much stricter specifications as the errors might be additive.

@ stvnharr,

there is no need for "ABX" as it is just a specific protocol.
A/B for example is fine too, provided that there was sufficient control wrt the usual confounders.

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK. Yes, it is the transducers and their use which are the weak link. Hence it is strange when people get worked up about minor flaws, real or merely imagined, in the electronics and the cables.

I belive that I do hear differences between D/A converters and power amplifiers etc. But its kind of relative small details in the big fooling business. So they are not completely irrelevant.

As recordings are hard to effect, the two channel paradigm reign and WAF rules the homes - thats whats left to worry about :)

//

Don't feed the troll.

Troll, my aarse, this is a Forum, a place of debate, look it up.
Back when I became interested in audio there were any number of hifi magazines and whenever they previewed amplifiers they were also Lab tested for distortion etc. Features offered were also discussed, but I cannot ever remember there being a best sounding amplifier, possibly because amplifiers should just amplify. Now of course, with the internet, it looks to have all changed?
As I mentioned before, if forums had a bullsshit filter there would be very little to read.

Debating is about winning an argument, not about finding truth. Debating isn't even about arguing a position that one believes to be true.
About debating: HOW TO DEBATE
It's about being clever, putting opponents at a disadvantage, and assembling a coherent, comfirmative argument.
Confirmation bias is leveraged in order to win: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

Don't know about everybody else, but I don't come here for debate. Science and engineering are supposed to be about get at facts and truth.

IMHO, subject matter most suitable for "debate" are those specifically banned from the forum.

As to level matching.....I did write that the amps were exactly the same. That means that they had the same gain stage and the volume controls on each were set pretty close to each other.
I've heard others doing such thing too. The devil is in the detail, which brings up a question, how closely did you match and what did you use for doing it? I'm asking because it's important.

My point right from the beginning was, that these experiments - comparing real with reproduced - were not the foundation of audio development.
There are audio aspect in industrial equipment development, there are audio aspect in sound reproduction, there are audio aspect in room treatments...etc. Which audio development are you referring to?

And still there is no evidence provided that those experiments were done.
In 1918 and in 1960's.

Everything else would have to admit that the "high fidelity" of the majority is only exactly that which means there are a lot of people that would need much less than that and of course a lot of people (or at least some) that would need much more and therefore - as there any system might diverge in different dimensions - includes a preference part, because performance overall might be similar or even equal but different in detail.
It doesn't help your credibility when you use the word "exactly" on your interpretation of someone's statement and "might" on your countering point, all in the same paragraph. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.