• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Are they still making Golden Dragon?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Åke,

If you want a nice, current production, 6SN7, buy the "reissue" TungSol.

If comparatively affordable NOS is what you want, make adapters and use 7N7s. Some folks "drool" over Sylvania 6SN7s. Regardless of labeling, Loctal tubes were made by Sylvania. Darned tootin, the same "cages" went into both Octal and Loctal production. Profit requirements make that so.

If you want to get Golden Dragon from the Norwegian distributor mentioned on DF96's post, you'd better be quick. He's in the process of winding down the business due to poor health. Me and my brothers have been using him as "house supplier" for years...

Johan-Kr

Joined 2008
Golden Dragon are very good tubes. Some selected power tubes are probably the best value among current production, IMHO. I have used with great success the double plate 2A3 (not the current version). About 8000 hours service without any issue and perfectly efficient. It also has gold plated grid to minimize grid current. I don't know about signal tubes though as NOS types are still in abundance....

Several of those tubes are made with original British tools by GEC or similar under strict British specifications . It's really true. The KT66 in particular is really beautifully made thing using quality materials so much that buying originals at stellar prices is just silly, unless one wants them for his collection.
Also Valve Art sells this and I think the origin is the same.....

Back in the late nineties, for a few years, they used to make a special version of the 300B. It featured a titanium plate and was called 4-300BLX that they copied from a Japanese re-make, I think, before WE decided to come back in business. Nice stuff!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.