Are there good Novice guides out there?

Yea I said it: it's challenging to get your feet wet in the speaker building game and it seems everyone's an expert (no offense).

I have 30 years' experience messing with guitar amps & speakers and an engineering background but am new to hifi. In a few months of searching, I've been able to search out a ton of info, largely on youtube, blogs and forums like this one. Generally speaking, I find:

1) highly technical discussions on the ins & outs of the finer points of obscure parameters (or maybe not obscure? It's hard to tell what's really important, hence my post)

2) oversimplified dummy-level 'instructables' filled with flaws (poor writing, omissions and glaring copy/paste regurgitation)

3) many individuals expressing their opinions as fact (which is not necessarily wrong, just mildly annoying)

Specifically, here is what I would love to find for those, like myself, who are serious but still novice:

A guide for what to tackle first
Some of us understand the (very) basics of the physics, electronics and acoustics involved in speaker building (like impedance and power handling) but do I need to buy my speakers then measure for empirical data or begin by selecting drivers based on theory? Or get my crossover design planned before buying anything? Is my cabinet size & shape more important than driver or crossover selection? You get the idea...

A list of essential knowledge and tools in order of priority
Aside from a multimeter, do I need a calibrated measurement mic? An oscilloscope? A flux capacitor? None of the above (I see loads of focus on the math/theoretical)?
How much do the calculations matter if you ultimately use your ears? I suppose understanding speaker data sheets is a good idea. How do these relate to each other and what do they mean in the 'real world'?

For sure we can all agree that there are infinite possibilities, I just wonder if you all know some resources that address these concerns which are not 100% beginner?
Perhaps there are good books on the subject? I don't want to be asking EVERY question on forums or I will likely become that tiresome newbie everyone hates.

I am aware that so much of this is subjective and you will always encounter some healthy debate at every level. That's part of the fun when passionate folks share an interest.
So how does one bridge the gap from newb to experienced?

As you've seen, there's a lot of stuff online, but books generally have "concentrated knowledge" that can help a lot.
I got this book in the last couple years, I think it's good, describes measuring Thiele-Small parameters and such:
https://www.amazon.com/Speaker-Building-201-Ray-Alden/dp/1882580451
There's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, the latest 8th edition is surely good if you want to pay the price, but I've got an earlier edition that I think is good enough.
I often buy books here: http://bookfinder.com

Reactions: 1 user
Chris I just wanted to pop back and say how absolutely amazing this resource is! So much good stuff in one place, thank you for the link.

As a follow up, I decided to buy the Dayton iMM-6C mic and Audiotool app because they seem to have a wealth of useful tools for little money.

I will migrate to Xsim and REW when I progress through the learning curve. (I own the EMM-6 too but it has to be plugged into a PC with interface - less convenient)

This looks like it probably could be updated--introduced 14 years ago, last updated 12 years ago. The apps I'd use today are not listed.

Also, as is usual, there is very little on directivity control (i.e., horns), especially full-range directivity control (including the "cookbooks"), which have nothing at all. This is the biggest single omission from most DIY guides. I'd also strongly recommend reading up on multiple entry horns (MEH) if you're willing to use DSP. The advantages are just too great to ignore.

(I own the EMM-6 too but it has to be plugged into a PC with interface - less convenient)
This was a major pain. Once I acquired a UMIK-1 (sold by miniDSP), everything got much, much better and easier. Just plug it in and it's "self calibrated" (no channel gains to set). UMIK-1 microphone's individual calibration files are found on the miniDSP website, and are a lot better than not having them (i.e., moving group average calibration, accessible by microphone serial number).

I will migrate to Xsim and REW when I progress through the learning curve. (I own the EMM-6 too but it has to be plugged into a PC with interface - less convenient)
REW is definitely worth your time (and I found it not very difficult to use). I've not had a lot of success with getting XSim to show me what I need. I'd recommend something else if you're going to build something with passive crossover networks, like vituix, etc.

Chris

I would purchase a couple of books. for references one Testing Loudspeakers by Joseph D Appolito and Tooles book Sound Reproduction and Psychoacoustics.

That covers measurement and theory I would also look at a couple of DIY books for speakers.

Can't stress this enough but measurement technique is absolutely critical to getting good results. Take your time and invest time in learning how to make repeatable measurements.

It's time well spent and will pay for itself in short order,

As far as Measurement systems there are good free programs however CLIO Pocket is a reasonable cost set-up that just works and is easy to use.

Have fun that's what it's all about!

Rob :)

Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member

Check out VituixCAD for everything except measurements (where REW is quite good).

There are many advantages to using an XLR mic and interface vs a USB mic. I'm not going to get into arguments about it, but you already have the mic and that is usually the first hurdle people are trying to get over. With the interface you can also measure impedance and Thiel-Small parameters with a DIY jig that costs about $10 vs something like a DATS that is $130.

I just finished two (LONG) articles that I hope help beginners get started.

Microphones and interfaces

DIY impedance jigs

Reactions: 1 users
A learning tip I found quite helpful: instead of trying to learn things in a more structured/formal manner, I would often read in a haphazard manner on whatever I found interesting or what was on the top of the forum threads. Sometimes just googling stuff (eg "sources of distortion in loudspeakers"), sometimes opening websites with tons of info in them (Troels' and Linkwitz's websites and TNT audio come to my mind) - and revisiting them - really has helped me. I'm still far from an expert - if anything I'm dangerously uninformed - but now at least I understand most (if not all) the words being used in discussions. It's taken me perhaps a few months (and an engineering degree helped, but I think your experience is as good), so it's not too long.

Also, I suspect the amount of time to learn goes up a lot the more deep you go. Basic T/S parameters take maybe a day to understand (if you're an engineer and familiar with the concepts), but choosing the amount of feedback in an amp probably needs months of experience if not more, to do well. (Fortunately that's where it's helpful to use existing designs! :))

...Toole's book Sound Reproduction and Psychoacoustics...
If you're an engineer with a fair amount of understanding of the basic technical areas of loudspeaker design/test, this book is like an encyclopedia of topics about listening to loudspeakers in small rooms. But after looking at this book (pretty extensively), it really doesn't tell you about how to design and build loudspeakers. But it's an invaluable resource book to learn about many important subjects that affect the performance of loudspeakers in real listening rooms. I find it has a few organization issues (i.e., it's not clear how it was composed and what it is trying to do for the reader), it does hold invaluable information that you will need over time.

...Testing Loudspeakers by Joseph D Appolito...
This is the single best resource that I've found (assuming you have an engineering or physics background to handle the basic mathematics and signal processing discussions). Even though it's a fairly thin paperback book, it's well worth the price (used), especially chapters 4-7.

Chris

Last edited:
If you're an engineer with a fair amount of understanding of the basic technical areas of loudspeaker design/test, this book is like an encyclopedia of topics about listening to loudspeakers in small rooms. But after looking at this book (pretty extensively), it really doesn't tell you about how to design and build loudspeakers. But it's an invaluable resource book to learn about many important subjects that affect the performance of loudspeakers in real listening rooms. I find it has a few organization issues (i.e., it's not clear how it was composed and what it is trying to do for the reader), it does hold invaluable information that you will need over time.

Agreed it's not a how too. It's meant to be use as a reference for important topics. With an extensive bibliography list of references for more in depth reading.

I think we should not forget the tutorials that are available with some software. For example Clio has a good manual as does Bass Box Pro and LEAP.

The tutorials in LEAP are excellent too bad no longer available.

Here is another reference for learning basics

Out curiosity do you know a good speaker DIY book? When I started many that were available were already long in tooth!

Used JBL and other manufacturers guides for enclosure size and tuning before "box" programs were readily available.

Win ISD is a good free be.

Rob :)

Attachments

• pssdm_1 (1).pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 15
  • pssdm_2.pdf
    558.8 KB · Views: 18
Out curiosity do you know a good speaker DIY book? When I started many that were available were already long in tooth!
I assume you are referring to Beranek's Acoustics and Olson's Acoustical Engineering, among others they produced. If you are doing horn loudspeakers, both of these books still hold invaluable derivations. I'd add one more - Kolbreck's High Quality Horn Loudspeaker Systems (the second part theory of this 7.5 lb. text...with some fairly strong caveats). But these are really for the advanced amateur, not beginners. Even engineers will find them more like subject textbooks for lecture classes instead of engineering laboratory manuals with tips and pointers for DIY.

I personally don't find a lot of use for Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook (7th Ed.), which is almost solely focused on direct radiating cone type loudspeakers, and mostly bass reflex designs (which I do not actually recommend). I've not found much of use in it. The 8th Ed. looks to be overpriced, and the subjects that I find to be missing (related to horns and other driver types) seem to still be missing altogether. However, if you're into direct radiating monkey coffins, you may find utility.

I do like Eargle's Loudspeaker Handbook, (which is even more overpriced and the treatment of the subjects are pretty shallow). I still find it useful, however. It serves as a checklist and as an answer to the "why" of loudspeaker design decisions. It also covers horn loudspeakers.

Unfortunately, I haven't found a general purpose DIY guide on loudspeaker design. Google is your friend for diyAudio and other sites, but note that there are no real quality control measures for these sources, and I find that there seems to be many "self support groups" of interested DIYers, but which seem to have adopted some questionable rules-of-thumb and other design practice rules that aren't really rules or even correct observations. Beware. Those groups will try to talk you out of valid design paths in order to keep you in their fold.

I see more than a few of these being led by certain "engineering technologists" (the university degree) that apparently lack the will or capacity to correctly go back to basic theory or even use solid testing practices (including avoidance of sighted bias experiments). I find a lot of very sloppy "trials" leading to extremely suspect conclusions. I also suspect a "tin ear syndrome" in some of these groups.

Chris