Are CLC and CRC filters any good for anything else than class A?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wonder if a CLC (or CRC) filter will be okay for a class B amp or preamp (or anything else, since it's not class A (no constant current load)

since the drawn current isn't the same all the time, the voltage drop across the L or R won't be stable, and output voltage won't be regulated anymore?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

CRC is only good for class A, since current is constant, and thus voltage will remain constant. CLC is far better, not just from efficiency, but its regulation is much better too.

It's also preferable for class A designs but NOT because of the class of operation.

Uh, far better where regulation is needed, but preferable in any and all cases due to the efficiency.

Ah...O.K.

How does one deal with the inductor current rating for selection of a suitable inductor?

For any class of operation overspecify them and you'll be not only safe but they'll sound much better too.

Running magnetic components close to saturation is not a bright idea IME.

Cheers,;)

I have a boxfull of toroidal mains transformers. Would I be right in thinking that I could use the secondaries of a couple as inductors in a C-L- R filter, taking care of course not to exceed saturation (which I expect would be higher than the rated output)?

I'd connect the primaries to neon lights so they flash when the amp is turned on ;-) ...nah, maybe better just to snip the wires.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.