Arc Audio ARC2500-CXL

I do notice that at initial power-up the amp tries to draw about 6A or so; rather quickly.

With D23 installed the amp will briefly peg my Gophert PS down on cycle and never power up.

When D23 is not installed amp does not pull too hard, starts, and only draws about 1.2A idle.

I'll get the amp mounted up and run some tests on a beefier supply. To be honest, some amps; such as Gen 1 Orion/PPI, and my A6000GTI don't really like my Gophert digital PS. I doubt there is much surge capability with this Gophert either, but then I don't want to add anything (Like a Farad cap) because that could cause such a surge to fail components. I have almost NEVER burnt out a BJT/FET with this Gophert. Its a pretty gentle supply but certainly has its limits.

Last edited:
With the diode in the circuit, the delay cap is immediately discharged and there is a delay restarting. Without the cap, there is no significant loss of voltage with the turn-on surge and the amp remains on.

I always used a 2 ohm current limiting resistor with a 12v piezo sounder/buzzer across it on a larger supply. Most amps would power up through it. Some pulsed several times but they powered up after a few seconds. For amps that would not power up through the resistor, a switch allowed a relay to bypass the resistor. This worked very well.

The piezo buzzer allowed an audible alarm to an increase in current. The volume of the buzzer was proportion to the current draw. You could easily hear when current increases, as it does when transistors start to heat up.