Apogee Rosetta 800 +

Joined 2009
Paid Member
There should not be noise from mute button ( this is a hard bypass).
Spl is very serious pro gear ( the one i used in studio was. All the units i've seen. Deutsch Qualitat!). I't ll be difficult to see what is inside from a picture ( i presume it to be full smd multilayer pcb).
I looked for a schematic in my archive and web but for the moment no luck. As it is still on sale atm it may not be easy to source schematic without owning a unit.

The fact the attenuators are buffered and balanced is really great ( you can drive long lines with it and won't loose balanced out) and the one knob/one pushbutton approach is appealing to me.

Last edited:
finished - for now

Quick update, bought SPL Vol 8 and it does everything as advised that it would. Sound quality has improved again.
Many thanks for all of the help.
System update diagram to assist

Attachments

• BT Syst Conf-Apogee_R2.jpg
    BT Syst Conf-Apogee_R2.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 213
Apogee internal adjustments

One of my friends has lent me a Rotel RB power amp for the vertical horn. Its input sensitivity is low, so I have changed the analogue output level jumpers from -10 dBV to + 4 dBU for only outputs 1 & 2.

Reading up these levels I found:-
-10 dBV = -7.7 dBU = 0.3 V [RMS].
1.78 dBV = + 4 dBU = 1.2 V [RMS].

Are there any drawbacks to doing this?

I've seen there is a daughter board to go onto the jumpers to give more adjustment - ROSETTA800CA - anyone got one of these?

The Rotel power amp has no input adjustment, but the other 3 power amps do.
I've used REW to get the balance between the different frequencies.

I still have SPL VOL8 as master volume control

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Attachments

• P1030316-AP-INT-c.jpg
    P1030316-AP-INT-c.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 132
  • BT Syst Conf-R4.jpg
    BT Syst Conf-R4.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 136
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi,
Nobody answered so i will:
From a technical point of view there is no issue running the rosetta outputs to different sensitivity ( it's why there is choice for them). If an isue could arise that would be from the Spl or the Rotel amp.

Spl being pro gear i would expect it's nominal level to be +4dbu so i would not expect any issue there ( check within manual).

What is the input sensibility of your Rotel amp (and input Z)?

This is where i could see an issue (about sensibility and potential overdrive of input).

The other issue being a mismatch in level for one of the voices wrt to the other. In other term a level mismatch messing with the outcome of filters.

If you want to be safe about it, you'll have to define a reference signal outlevel ( -10dbv seems wise) and from there determine how much attenuation is needed on the +4dbu output pair for the way to be correctly aligned to the others.

Then it is a just a matter of implementing an U pad ( 3 resistance attenuator) or T pad ( 5 resistance) for this +4dbu pair.
If you want to make things 'right' you need to know the input impedance of Rotel amp.

Uneeda Audio - Build your own attenuator pads

Basically this is what i've done with my 3 level attenuator i talked about previously.

Hope it is clear. If not PM me.

I'm surprised the Rosetta didn't had a trimmer to set the output. The ones i've seen had this iirc ( but i may mix up with another converter as i took care of many from different brands). Anyway, given it is an 'ancient' converter it might not be availlable anymore ( and knowing Apogee cost an arm and leg if available). The Lpad will work the same in practice ( there might be difference - i depend on how the attenuation is implemented within the Rosetta- but so tiny it won't matter in the end).

Last edited:
ADC on the Apogee is not working on 7 out of 8 channels and the last channel has low output & is distorted.

I can still play music from my NAS drive.

In the short term, I'm looking for a small ADC to connect into Lynx card as shown on the schematic.

I've looked at the Apogee PCB and there are no obvious signs of damage - not that I have the knowledge or ability to repair it.

Either new or second hand suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Barry

Attachments

• BT Syst Conf-R4a.jpg
    BT Syst Conf-R4a.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 39