Anyone use this clock upgrade?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jocko Homo said:
Why do you guys assume the '04 is for the oscillator? Anyone see the caps for the feedback network? Any clues from the parts list, hmmm........

Why do you guys think that you can't do better on your own for that amount of money? Maybe we have more fatih in you than you do. You are being sucked in because they have a website, use some silly rubber band kludge, and tell you it is great because it has X ppm. Big deal. You can do better on your own.

I stand by my advice. Take it or ignore it, I really don't care. It is your money to waste, and waste it if you must.

Jocko

Coz the site says it is a crystal! If he cannot differentiate between a crystal and crystal-oscillator well then.........I go back to my honey!:clown: Maybe I need the rubber :joker: Ooops.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Elso Kwak said:

JP, My comments are based on my experiences, things I tried in the past! I have built a clock with 74VHC04., tried LM317 as supply etc. Get it? I don't post all my experiments

You did not build this one did you ?? How can you judge a book by its cover ?

Guido Tent said:

It is striking how fellow clock sellers share their experiences for free, enabling others to avoid starters errors. You can look at it as critism, or as free advise - your pick.

For clocks the most relevant parameter is jitter - for that reason I showed my interest in a spec.

I'd be happy to receive a measured spec (jitter density, similar to what I have distributed here) if that is part of the specs you have requested.

Marketing ?

Of course jitter is the spec we are looking for. That is why most of us replace the standard circuits for.

I will order one and I will post my results. Just wait ;)

From the parts-value alone, it is hands-down bargain. However, you get the full working kit!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think everyone should at least consider it as a cheap starting point that promises a lot.

However, it was unjustly compared straight away with the best there is. But, at what price level?? And deemed unsuitable for anything! I (almost?) feel guilty for even suggesting it may sound good!

I personally spend A$30 on xtal oscillator + comparator / buffer, and another A$150 on dedicated low noise power supply + silver wiring. The results are better than XO2 and XO3, which I could get very easily here in Australia. The price for XO3? Well, they are A$380. And you still have to spend that A$150 for a dedicated high quality power supply. So, A$180 or A$530? (the difference goes in to MY and not someone else’s pocket).

This complete KIT looks promising for only $30US. And installed, it should look very good. Customers might even think that it is something special because it is suspended…
However, it HAS TO SOUD decent as well – this just might be the case based on parts quality and my first positive impression.

Until one of us here on forums comes with something like this for $30US, I’ll always search for alternatives, which could sound decent.

Extreme_Boky

Guts feeling

jean-paul said:
Should I trust your clock design then ?!? ;) I judged it by the cover you know. There is a comparator in it, I never like oscillator circuits with comparator ICs in them :D

You sound like Jocko Jean-Paul.
Just follow your guts feeling as I did with the girl in my avatar.:clown:
[There are now two more clocks with a comparator: the LCAudio XO3 and the Hagclock] Coincidence of course.
:joker:

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No no, I started to sound like yourself. I was only joking because I find it extremely hard to believe that this product can be fully judged by seeing just 2 x LM317, one 74VHC04 and an unknown canned XO ( which could have decent jitter specs ) .....

The lack of certain specs does not exclude the possibility that this clock has decent measurements in those aspects nor that it might be just a good product.

How do we know?

It is easy.

1.) It has a '317, and from what I see, just a stock implementation. A '317 without some sort of noise reduction is going to have too much jitter. Period.

2.) The guy who builds it is in China. He brags about "ppm". Typical of all clock products from there: they obsess on the wrong spec. Period.

Jocko

never like oscillator circuits with comparator ICs in them

We understand your point, the sinewave is the best way to go.

However, there is the problem of getting that great waveform into the original circuit. Think of exactly what that input gate is. That is why the comparator is added. Its sole purpose is optimal interfacing, trying to make up for limitations elsewhere.

jh:)

Re: How do we know?

Jocko Homo said:
It is easy.

1.) It has a '317, and from what I see, just a stock implementation. A '317 without some sort of noise reduction is going to have too much jitter. Period.

2.) The guy who builds it is in China. He brags about "ppm". Typical of all clock products from there: they obsess on the wrong spec. Period.

Jocko
It's a shame that too few believe you but the last statement is pretty easy to understand for people with normal brain capacity.

How many ppm do you have to have in order not to hear any pitch shift? I should guess 10000 or at least 1000 ppm. So 50 or 10 ppm is nothing to pay extra for.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Not that easy.

Jocko Homo said:
It is easy.

Jocko

1.) LM317s don't have jitter. Analog devices can't have jitter. They have other characteristics as noise etc. An LM317 can have too much noise which can add to the jitter specs of the clock circuit of the cd/dvdplayer in question. But compared to the original clock with a '04 and a 7805 it just might be a tad better....This particular clock is advertised as a novice device for 30$. If it is better than the original clock a lot of people will be satisfied with the results. Why go for the very best in all cases ( with for example brand new dvd players for 35 Euro ) ??

2.) EVERYTHING audio/electronics/computer is from China nowadays,this counts for socalled A brands as well. There are few original american or european manufacturers left. When the gear is assembled in the US they can write "Made in USA" on it. The joys of a free market system, take it or leave it. Mentioning just the deviation of the given frequency is far from complete but, as said before, that does not exclude the possibility other specs are acceptable/good/excellent. When having components manufactured in China the difference between good quality and **** might be just 25 cents....

Period.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.