Anyone use thier FR's with heavy metal?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chuyler1 said:
DSOTM is metal?

It sure isn't R&R, so for me it's the original HM along with Deep Purple, etc., though I guess all these could be called hard/progressive rock if Ozzie Osborn, et al is the HM reference. As Scott noted though, IF it can handle DSOTM 'good enough', then it should handle most everything since. The only ones that comes to mind ATM that it might not is some of Rick Wakeman's solo albums such as 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII", etc..

GM

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
JayH3 said:

I am considering trying out a set of Audio Nirvana Cast Frame 8's. I would probably supplement them with a set of tweeters. Those would be powered by my ST70. I would then add powered subwoofers to pick up the bass.

I am sure that they sound great simple music, but I listen to a wide range of music that includes metal. Are the dynamics of the speaker going to fall apart when there are several tracks of distorted guitar, bass, double bass drums and crashing cymbals, and screaming vocals?

I just want to make sure these are versatile speakers before I include them in a project.

Thanks for any comments.

I too would like to implement a FR driver as a mid in a 3way, but I dont really trust them to take the beating, when I get the urge
Well, I might do it anyway, as it seems to make sense fore several reasons

But to be honest, many ordinary multiways wont like very loud either

And you will also need very strong amps
I dont think your ST70 is able to play as loud as I have in mind

So I am completely lost in guessing how loud is loud really

It doesnt happen very often, but when its loud at my place a FR driver would be hanging out of the box, thats fore sure

But its really not my priority, so less would do fine

I suppose a Fostex FF225K would be nice to have as mid in a high sensitivity 3way design, but then a sub wont do the (mid)bass properly, other woofers needed, a different design

But its a thing I have playing in my mind, maybe some day

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
btw, how about a 12" in BIB :hot: any reports on those

Anyway, in my younger years I had the pleasure of owning a Dynaco ST70
The best I ever heard it play was on a quaterwave with an 8" Richard Allen, a FR driver with relatively heavy coated cone and foam surround...actually it was some of the best sound I had ever experienced at the time
Funny, I used the same 8" in other horns, but it really shined in that simple quaterwave, completely different from what I was used to
And yes, before that I had Lowthers, Corals, Fostex

binarywhisper said:
I don't believe many people have the resources to build any type of home system that is going to do the job.

I beg to differ. My current 7.1 home theater system (it's main purpose is 2.1 channel music reproduction and is thus tuned so) can do a pretty convincing job of doing near live levels of HM in that room. It even does a damn good job of a live pipe organ concert, and that's hard to do!

I simply don't see the problem if you have a good quality subwoofer, just put in a switch to switch it between two different crossing frequencies.

Believe me, my FE206's can handle even sustained ear damaging levels when they're crossed at 320 Hz to my 4 15" basses which are normally crossed at 80 Hz.

Re: Re: Anyone use thier FR's with heavy metal?

tinitus said:

I too would like to implement a FR driver as a mid in a 3way, but I dont really trust them to take the beating, when I get the urge
Well, I might do it anyway, as it seems to make sense fore several reasons
The only FR I have much experience with is the CSS125's but they do seem to fit the bill for what you want. I found they were not capable of reaching the volumes I was hoping for and would bottom out horribly playing stuff like DSOTM. Once I implemented the 200hz cut off though everything changed. They can pound pretty darn good now so now my next project is to build a sub.

There are lot of designs, even semi-commercial designs, that use a FR as a mid. RAW Acoustics come to mind. They used the same FR as I've based my system on and there are some reviews of the products

http://www.stereomojo.com/RAWHT3SpeakerReview.htm
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_13_4/raw-acoustics-ht-8-speakers-11-2006.html
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf...aw-acoustics-ht3-speaker-kit-review-pics.html

Timn8ter also had some great designs based on similiar concepts and there are others.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Re: Re: Re: Anyone use thier FR's with heavy metal?

binarywhisper said:

The only FR I have much experience with is the CSS125's but they do seem to fit the bill for what you want.
Once I implemented the 200hz cut off though everything changed. They can pound pretty darn good now so now my next project is to build a sub.

Sounds good to me...I have a pair...waiting :D

Re: Re: Re: Anyone use thier FR's with heavy metal?

binarywhisper said:

The only FR I have much experience with is the CSS125's but they do seem to fit the bill for what you want. I found they were not capable of reaching the volumes I was hoping for and would bottom out horribly playing stuff like DSOTM.

Too loud for a small room or apt. then. That, or the MLTLs they're in load them far more than I thought. As you implied though, BW limited they have enough Xmax to play well beyond its rated Pe, so the point where it 'lets the smoke out' is its real dynamic headroom capability.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.