Anyone tried EricYams tvc of eBay?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
33 Step Transformers Volume Control Passive Preamp | eBay

The switch looks nice I suspect the ugly wire terminals in the trans are pure silver rod. I am going to ask tonight. I hope he speaks english? I doubt he can supply any more info then what is in the add or he would of. I am always suspicious of potted trans.

I am most likely going to buy Intacts 200$ auto former but this appeals because the the nice switch that i can moterise for remote and the 33 steps of possibly real trans that can isolate.

looks like somebody changed this for me without telling me. Thanks though. I am sure he doesn't speak english now. I am hoping somebody from where it comes from could share some more information. I am sure it is well known where its made. If I can't get any info on it. I will have to let it go. Its a shame because the switch looks great. That doesn't mean it sounds great of course. :| I have been caught so many times with eBay on this sort of stuff. Some is rubbish and some is special.

Last edited:
looks like somebody changed this for me without telling me. Thanks though. I am sure he doesn't speak english now. I am hoping somebody from where it comes from could share some more information. I am sure it is well known where its made. If I can't get any info on it. I will have to let it go. Its a shame because the switch looks great. That doesn't mean it sounds great of course. :| I have been caught so many times with eBay on this sort of stuff. Some is rubbish and some is special.

Hi flat battery, I' saw this same TVC on eBay (still watching it). I logged on to see if anybody has used one before I pull the trigger. What did you finish up doing?

Hi flat battery, I' saw this same TVC on eBay (still watching it). I logged on to see if anybody has used one before I pull the trigger. What did you finish up doing?
Well I never heard back from Fat battery so i took a punt and bought the TVC cans from Eric Yam. I did a quick patch up job yesterday, put the inductors into an old enclosure and wired up 9 steps of volume control (out of a total of 33 steps).

First impressions - my gosh this is really good. Good frequncy extension both top and bottom, and listening to Supertramp Crisis LP (half speed audiophile pressing) pianos sound like - pianos! Like a piano is the room. Like I've never heard piano reproduced before! My wife is a piano player and she said - gosh this sounds good! Playing digital tracks there was a real sense of a 3D sound stage, sounding more like analog then ever before (my DIY DAC is already pretty good in this regard, but this stepped things up another level).

I have been using John Broskie balanced passive attenuators for many years and have been very pleased with results. But this is even better, based on 2 hours of audition. I am now planning to re-build my "pre-amp" (in reality it is a source selector) to put the TVC into the same enclosure and save myself a few connectors and 6 inches of wire. Then I will be really happy.

I need to listen more, but right now, I highly recommend these TVCs.

Disclaimer - I disdain active pre-amps. I have an active phono stage (obviously) and the only active part of my DAC is the USB to I2S converter (digital to analog is all passive). If you design sources and power amps properly you don't need an active pre-amp. I don't know why its taken me so long to try a TVC but I am now a convert.

One last though - it was the work of an afternoon to wire everything up, and I got to say - it will be a real bitch to wire all 33 taps!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.