Anyone tested 'Etone' woofers for OB?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Grant,

IB (infinite baffle i.e in a wall) is not the same as OB (open baffle);

The DIY subwoofer pages on dipoles and the spreadsheet available there are quite useful:
http://www.diysubwoofers.org/dipole/

A couple of even cheaper drivers to consider:
12" Jaycar CW2125 $40, Qts 1.46 Fs 32Hz, I've used these on an OB & they're suitable, at that price try 2 a side....

10" Jaycar CW2119 $30 Qts .775 Fs 32Hz,
how about 4 per side...:)

cheers,
Pete McK

Thanks Pete, for 'edumacating' me...(haha), re ..IB / OB! appreciated

Andy's, Jaycar 15inch looks good but I don't have the expertise to 'test it'. Likewise your CW2125 seems great (Andy also suggested this a while ago?) is it still available?... I'll check my dogalogue! Grant.. Thanks guys!

an example of how easy OBs can be (if you're cheap & lazy like me...) - a couple of days ago I found a pair of speakers on the side of the road, 90cm H x 35w x 20d, and inside was a 12" woofer with a tiny magnet ('power -pak ppw1208p made in taiwan'). Immediately I thought 'OB', hooked up 9mH in series with the woofer, added a Radio Shack 40-1240D in series with 150uF where the mid unit had been, and leaving the back off, gave it a whirl....
Result, pretty good sound, I needed to switch on the loudness control on the amp and add a couple of dB on the bass tone control, but managed to get a well balanced sound. The RS drivers are a little more forward than my reference Peerless system, but still quite a pleasing sound. Unfortunately, the voice coil in one of the RS drivers is on the way out & they're no longer available. But the Visaton FRS8M looks to be a good replacement at ~$20....

Hi,
Brett, thanks for your suggestion, but asking Etone to modify the driver is probably way beyond my competency or budget!

PeteMcK,
I really enjoyed your 'side of the road OB' project....amazing! I wish I had your expertise and ingenuity. I also really liked your comment to Panomaniac's Manzanita...in that you liked the simplicity of it.

After 'mucking-about' with my 3way-speaker thread for about a year(?) , I've realised that there may very well be much cheaper solutions (I'm a cheapskate!) , so your and Andy's suggestion of the CW2125 is looking particularly good, price-wise. I guess 1 (or 2) per side would work well out to say ~300Hz, where again 1 or 2 full ranges would take over. Jaycar catalogues used to have FR graphs, but I misplaced
them, so I emailed Electus Distribution. It just really annoys me that they don't publish FR/Z plots anymore.

Thanks very much for the Visaton FRS8M info, I googled it and it looks VERY good, cheap and available from Soundlabs in Sydney. The 4 Ohm version (2 in series per side), looks even better? ...attached plots. The
slight peak at ~10kHz, I reckon could be easily notched out, and they would probably cost one quarter of a Tangband W4-1337SA? .. (Why does the B200 cost more than 10 times as much?)

So, .ta-da !, with much gratitude to you and Andy, it seems that I can finally decide on an el-cheapo but cheerful OB design using CW2125's and 2by FRS-4ohm or 1by FRS8M-8 . But I hope it could use an ordinary and relatively simple first order crossover. thanks mate.

Andy,
Hi still here? I know you're very busy. Can you also supply Visaton drivers please? Would my choices above be ok within your 'guidelines' of choosing drivers with a smooth and wide response then using 1st order, possibly series crossover? If, the FRS-4 ohm is possible a little too ragged ragged beyond 10kHz (which I maybe can't hear too well anyway..haha), I guess they could be crossed out with something like the D26NC55? ...also thanks!

www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/mm5/merch...re_Code=Sound&Category_Code=Visaton-Fullrange

pic

Attachments

• visaton-frs8-4vs8-ohm.jpg
    visaton-frs8-4vs8-ohm.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 215
Grant,

If you are considering those Visaton drivers, you really owe it to yourself somehow get hold of the WES catalog and look at the Daichi range of drivers.
You saw that HT system of mine
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gradds55/ARGOS/pokey HT system.htm
I can still get those drivers and some other similar ones for around $12 each or even less !!!

I know you internet is still dial-up. But I'll burn it to CD and snail it to you if you want. I have your address.

That Jaycar CW2125, I can get for just a bit under $30 each if we can make a total order from Jaycar of over $100, which isn't generally a problem ;-)

Thanks Andy,
I finally got the WES catalogue. Is your Dai-Chi the one as attached? I was very impressed with Gumby so I guess they are the same drivers there? PeteMcK likes the FRS8M (which I haven't heard), so maybe each to his own? The problem I have again with Dai-Chi is that they don't publish FR/Z plots.

I have to politely ask Russell @ StonesSS to get his test plots, because I like to try to evaluate myself....well I did say try! Ditto, for the CW2125, but at $30 I can't go wrong! Thanks.

Attachments

• andy.jpg
    andy.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 162
Thanks Andy,

I'm still interested in the CW2125 and would like to know if anyone has
tested it and has plots for its 89dB response + Z? If not, then the
SLS830669 Qts 0.43 on an OB might work but its pricey and peaky.

The expensive TangBand W4-1337SA looks real good as a mid, with a Qts=0.47 so again, I guess its ok for OB? Maybe cross it to the CW2125/ 830669 at about 400 then ...to the D26NC55?

Just a thought...haha, I have four CW2136 (as in your Jukes), Qts again 0.47, maybe 2 per side OB would slightly bass-augment the Tangband?
If OB is not possible then, maybe I can emulate something like the 'Mini Statements'? ....

grantnsw said:
Thanks Andy,

I'm still interested in the CW2125 and would like to know if anyone has
tested it and has plots for its 89dB response + Z? If not, then the
SLS830669 Qts 0.43 on an OB might work but its pricey and peaky.

The expensive TangBand W4-1337SA looks real good as a mid, with a Qts=0.47 so again, I guess its ok for OB? Maybe cross it to the CW2125/ 830669 at about 400 then ...to the D26NC55?

Just a thought...haha, I have four CW2136 (as in your Jukes), Qts again 0.47, maybe 2 per side OB would slightly bass-augment the Tangband?
If OB is not possible then, maybe I can emulate something like the 'Mini Statements'? ....

Here is an FR graph...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1423643&stamp=1202523750

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.