Anyone notice ICEpower 250ASP on sale for $98 at Partsexpress?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am listening to two I bought there yesterday! if you are ordering beware as two of them they brought out to me were damaged with destroyed caps.

Of the three I purchased, two had broken caps, two had dented caps, but not the same two.

I'm listening to them now, sound great. :) About to replace all my Parasound's. They don't sound better than the Halo's. Just as good for a lot less wasted heat, plus monoblocks. I can put one directly under each of my main speakers. I suspect that these speakers are really easy to drive though. No idea what these amps would be like driving an ESL.

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
Cyber,

If memory serves, ASP was the next generation after the ASC and some claim is better. I've only heard the 250ASP's and they're great. Well, they're at least the same as the A23's they've replaced. So I'm going from an amp that's class A up to 30 watts before switching to A/B to a fully PWM controlled amplifier and can't tell the difference. That's quite an accomplishment considering I can be pretty critical of DAC's and other gear. :)

While I can't rank the 250 ASP's among all Class-D amps, I can say that to my ears they are really really good.

Best,

Erik

ASC (and AC) are newer generation than ASP (and A). But the original ASP series are still great.

ASX are stereo modules based on a later Gen IC. They are more cost oriented, don't handle quite the current, and are single ended, but in some respects have superior performance.

Bill,

Seems like it. They went fast since they had a bunch of broken units. I did post this a few weeks ago. I did post about this a few weeks ago, so I don't feel bad for having scored six of them in all. :D

Units were all pulls from some manufacturer. Another DIYer observed, probably correctly, that they probably came from some subwoofer or other powered speaker.

Came with cables, but missing the voltage selector, and half of mine had a broken cap. Fortunately, I know how to read the markings. :)

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
Just in case anyone else is looking, found the voltage jumper via Mouser. It's from TE/Amp, part 826853-1

The connectors seem a little short from photographs I have seen elsewhere, maybe 0.1" to 0.090" or so. So long as you aren't going to be stroking the amplifier while powered up this should not be an issue. :) Maybe another DIYer will find a better fitting part.

Best,

Erik

Last edited:
Ghent Audio in Shanghai sells cable sets for ICE Power modules which make assembly a lot easier than fiddling with JST components. The ASP modules from parts Express sound great ( mine were obviously used but work fine ) I suggest you get hold of the data sheets and designers manual from the web. I am using them to power subwoofers but any help in eliminating the small amount of ground loop hum would be most welcome!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.