Anyone know a fix for a Sunfire sub?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

The amplifier is complex, with a complex power supply.
No simple fixes, though having a working unit is useful
for comparing the two and reaching a diagnosis, and
an attempted repair, but you need to know your stuff.

rgds, sreten.

A service manual is also a very good idea.

rgds, sreten.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi XsamuraiX,
sreten is right on the money as far as this is concerned. This is no repair for even a normal electronics service shop, that's how specialized it is. It does deliver it's rated output power for one, and it is light and compact for another. The circuitry is advanced and efficient as is normal for Carver / Sunfire designs as well.

What I would strongly urge you to do is to take the unit to an authorized service center for that brand. They may be able to service it with only the electronics if you have to ship it in. That would save you some money if they will do that. If they want the entire thing, that wouldn't surprise me either.

-Chris

Still can't find ANYWHERE for a repair of these, so I contacted Sunfore and guess what, they snubbed me, 5 E-mails later and still they are avoiding me, and only asking for a repair centre lol

I am so happy this happened as I was thinking of getting the tip spec Sunfire x2 but oh boy I'm now going to avoid them like the plague.

Anyhow, I have read replacing some of the transistors has proven to be really good, but, which one's?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You need special training to service these. Don't push into areas that you really don't stand a chance of repairing it properly. It really is a dangerous thing to be working around in, and they are capable of delivering huge amounts of power under normal conditions. One that isn't working properly could deliver voltages far in excess of the designed values. That spells both surprise and injury to you.

-Chris

In short I have 2 Sunfire HRS 10's, one just went down, still turns on, so the power rail must be good as no blown fuses...
Had a Sunfire(can't remember model #) with similar symptoms some years ago and tracked the problem down to a single "hidden" fuse on one of the smaller boards. I believe it was 150mA, used to power some house-keeping portion of the circuit. From visual inspection, it looked good(could still see fuse wire in place) but when tested with ohm-meter it was open. Replaced it and has been working ever since. Perhaps you have something similar.

Attachments

• SunfireSub_Fuse.png
    SunfireSub_Fuse.png
    484.8 KB · Views: 492
I just did a continuity test on the fuses, all OK.

But I noticed it actually doesn't quite turn on, my bad. It tries to turn on, the power led never goes green but quickly flashed red, then goes back off. Possible power cap issues maybe? I can hear what sounds to be a relay clicking.

Cheers Andrew, but the Flannery's Repair service is too far, I'm in England and it would cost around $145 just to have it sent there.

I think it is really pathetic Sunfire ignored me, may go for some REL's or DXD's next, at least they can be repaired here and have helpful friendly tech teams :)

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.