• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

anyone ID these Magnecord amplifiers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a couple of these, but the nameplates don't tell which model they are -somene painted over it, so no dice on the manuals. Can anyone ID them please? There could not be too many just like these.

They look great in the rack, but have XLR's, etc. and a -lot- of wiring, were for precord/play on tape. Therefore the XLRs are rigged for that and it's not too simple to see how to use them for example with a shortwave radio that has only a line output. I would like to be least intrusive with any mods, so the schematic is very important.

I'm told they sound fantastic by someone who worked with that kind of gear. The output tubes are triode connected p-p 6AQ5, and the OPT are about 10W size, so I imagine these things are about perfection.

Attachments

• magnecord_amps.jpg
    magnecord_amps.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 253
Military version of the PT-6BN (for BiNaural) tape preamps. If you unscrew the black (military) label plates you'll find the original model and brand still printed on the faceplate. The Magnecord PT-6BN was the very first stereo (they called it "binaural") recorder available for the consumer market. Once restored these are very fine microphone (or line) preamps and highly regarded by recording studios for their "warm" sound.
The fact that they are dual channel (stereo) units is big plus if you ever want to sell them. And yes, they include a pair of 10W monitor amps.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.