Anyone have a Gamevue LCD panel?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
gamecube screen.

now, I did ask the same question a while ago but no one answered. but since then I have bought one of these things and snooped around inside it.

I dont know half as much as some of the other guys at this forum but maybe they know what I mean...

1--- I took off the screws on the front of the monitor. and the plastic back of the monitor just nicely came off.

2--- I had to remove screws that held down a electronic board that held speakers and the conections to the A/V jacks.

so far... no problem

3--- the next step was to remove screws that held the rectangular metal cover that held the actual lcd and the back lighting. but there was a mini driver board on this cover wich had a plug that had wires leading through the cover to a main driver board on the inside of the cover.

that was as far as I got because I dont feel good about pulling wires out of possibly soldered in plugs. This thing cost me $192 Canadian. the other thing about these screens is that they are not TFT. fast moving games or movies will be blurred when there is movment. I also had problems with these things like when I take a game out of the console the screen will scramble. It forces you to turn ot off and then back on to get the picture right. I just got mine replaced because the place I bought it at gave me a demo model that was running for god knows how many months. The backlight burnt out in two days flat. The replacement is also a demo and I'm not very happy about it.

My conclusion: even if you can take these things fully apart and use them for a projector BEWARE... the are cheap junk!
bad resolution.. bad refresh rate... BAD QUALITY!

P.S. you can also see vertical and horizontal lines when the contrast is extreme like on gamecubes option screen. you will see the cube, but then you will see dimmer white lines extending from the option cube...REALLY annoying. Bright games or movies have problems too. white clouds and bright blue skys will turn various shades of yellow. The x- box option screen is even worse. it just turns into a big blotch of green and yellow with the options music, memory and the other one I dont remember. you cant even see the X on the screen because its drowned out by big yellow blobs of contrast. detail on this thing is good though. I dont know why this thing works so bad with option screens.

Actualy the best thing about this thing is it work great with headphones. total surround. I can hear things with this screen I can't hear on my stereo.

O.K. ill shut up now.

GameVUE

I also have a Rosen GameVUE that I would like to use for a projector. The quality is actually quite good on this and would work well with some plans that I found at http://www.audiovisualizers.com/madlab/lcd_proj.htm . At the bottom, they have plans for using an LCD and keeping it intact (no more prying them apart!). If anyone happens to find out anything else about the GameVUE, please email me.

gamecube lcd vs. psone lcd
I dont know much about the gamecubes lcd, but I just orderd a psone 5.6" lcd for $50. It is TFT and claims high res (maybe 640x480?) Its also backlight so its pasive. Has rca inputs and one out. All reviews I've found claim it to be very sharp and clear pic. When I get mine, take it apart and project it I'll let ya know what quality I get. But one thing sounds obvious, the sony lcd and the gamecube lcd are two totally dif. panels. Someone else here in the small panel projection thread has used the sony lcd madcatz version. And it doesnt show any lines or funny colors.:)

its good to see some feedback on these monitors. I do have to add that the gamecube lcd is also made by a third party manufacturer and not by nintendo. ( the one I have ) This may account for its lesser quality. Although I am skeptical about the quality of its projection potential (or whatever) I may just take it apart further and try this screen out for the fun of it. I am haveing difficulty finding a decent monitor to use. and hope to be using a high res tft on an overhead some day. If your like me, you'll want a 150-200 inch screen.

Yep, some of the third party psone panels give a crappy pic I hear from searching on the net. But all the psone lcd's I've seen claim to be TFT lcd's. Maybe they are just like reg. LCD panels some good some bad. Gonna have to find out which are the good ones and which arent. Let you know how mine works, if the driver board isnt movable or whatever.

"150-200 inch screen."

Woho! Yes, that would be cool:cool: . I'm starting cheap, going for about 4' no bigger yet. Got the panel for $50. From there I'l go to a 8-10" OHP style I imagine. But looking at $130. for a 8" 640x480 panel and up $! But gotta start doing it first. Learning and etc. So cheap is the way for me.:D

the t.v. and fresnel lense would be a good set up with a 13 inch CRT that was really bright. but I dont know of any t.v.s or monitors that put out those kind of lumens. I have the typical t.v. on its back with the box, a fresnel and a mirror right now but am advancing to the brighter lcd/overhead only because the CRT isnt bright enough. I guess if I felt really energetic I could do a 1.8" high res lcd with the old metal halide but it is hard to find this stuff in Canada and it is double the price it is in the states. This is my reason for using the gamecube lcd.

Eli

Since your gamecube was harder to get apart why dont you try the reflective method that sky_hawk sugested. You don't have to take it apart so no real risk there. I'm gonna try it first so I have somthing to compare to the finished pasive way after I get it taken apart.
Pic from that site. I've seen it before myself and it might work, I dont know. Gotta tru to see I guess.:D

Attachments

• lcdplan_3.jpg
    lcdplan_3.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 812
I am skeptical about this procedure... I have seen this pic as well and as I understand it, LCDs have a polarizing screen on them to reduce glare. A normal t.v. is just glass. I think I saw a picture of the result at one time. and I personaly think i'd rather go for the transmisive way. the more lumens the better.

Actually, now that I think about it I may try it first as well. just as an experiment and some thing to keep me occupied. Who knows it may work o.k. I do have some advice about this though... if the lcd gets to warm the colors will not react properly. they will swirl and do funky things. so keep in mind you will need a fan of some kind depending on how hot your bulb is. I will post my progress on this thread and let you know the results as well.

Im off to design a projector now, talk to ya all later:D

Ive done just a little searching and Ive found a kind of projector I have never heard of before. It is what is described above for reflective projection. They are called opaque projectors and are designed to project photographs, open books, or a design from any solid object onto a wall. I will definitly reserch this idea more.

Eli said:
Actually, now that I think about it I may try it first as well. just as an experiment and some thing to keep me occupied. Who knows it may work o.k. I do have some advice about this though... if the lcd gets to warm the colors will not react properly. they will swirl and do funky things. so keep in mind you will need a fan of some kind depending on how hot your bulb is. I will post my progress on this thread and let you know the results as well.

Im off to design a projector now, talk to ya all later:D

Thanks for the tip, I'll watch to see if it overheats. Still waiting for mine to come in the mail, dang the mail is sooo slow. Guess thats why they call it snail mail-eh. But as soon as it gets here I'll be trying that too. No one seems to have tried the reflective method yet. Or has and isnt telling it seems. Oh well, we'll find out.;) :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.