Anyone actually suceeded in making a car amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
fr0st said:
One thing i definately can surgest is a variable frequency control on the SMPS. Use a current meter and tune it to draw the least amount of current. I wouldn't go below 20khz though.

I'm looking foreward to seeing the final product.

yes, and how would I go about that?

I still can't find my second transformer... and one is only really enough for one channel..... :xeye:

well, one channel is done, working, and in the case... there really isn't enough room in it for the second transformer unless I rearrange everything, which I am not going to do, so I will just run both channel off the one transformer.... it was only a practice amplifier, and it works... :D:D I am running +-22 volt rails into an 8 ohm speaker at the moment... pretty decent bass.. :)

EDIT: now I think its time to move onto the 4 X 150 watt amp... lol

Skinnyboy, are you using full wave rectification, or 1/2, or a mix using those dual diodes?

I'm going to use full wave , using double diodes in a to-218 case (a lot larger than to220). These are rated 30 amps when using both internal diodes as one, so i'm hoping the larger package can disappate heat into the heatsinks better.

Sure. A few of them in fact... The first one I attempted worked OK, but not fantastic. They all work great now. Just remember to use a differential input circuit so you never get ground loop noise. I've never had a problem with overheating diodes, but I've always used the schottky dualies in the To-220 package. I'll post more later when I have time.... (currently at work)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.