Any way to increase gain?

I built the ANK L3 Phono amp. Actually its a clone but loaded with premium parts. It works great. No noise and sounds good but I need more gain. Is there anything I can do to this circuit to increase the gain a little? I am running a DV20X2 High output cart and it requires I turn my amp up to 3/4-7/8 volume to get listening levels where I like them. My previous phono amp had adjustable gain and was a fair bit louder. I have it loaded with all factory recommended values. Is there any resistor changes or something similiar I can change to get more gain out of it?
L3 phono.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2011
The second stage could be a 12AX7 also, with higher plate and cathode resistors,
but it would have higher output impedance, and higher grid capacitance.
The RIAA value of C7 would have to be adjusted somewhat.
But this will only give a few dB more output.

I am running a DV20X2 High output cart and it requires I turn my amp up to 3/4-7/8 volume
That's the problem with some high output MC's. They have less output than a typical MM cartridge, and leave you in "no man's land" output wise.

Get the "Low" output version of your cartridge, and a 1:20 SUT. That will be the end of your volume issues. :)

Or, build one of those Zhili Audio EAR834p clones. They have a lot more gain.

jeff

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The second stage could be a 12AX7 also, with higher plate and cathode resistors,
but it would have higher output impedance, and higher grid capacitance.
The RIAA value of C7 would have to be adjusted somewhat.
But this will only give a few dB more output.
Depending a bit on the following stage, but in general I find that two 12AX7/ECC83 is kinda mandatory if you want about 1Vrms of output. Or use pentodes instead.

If we want to go a little less purist, we can put the first or 2nd stage in cascode with a NPN or Mosfet.

Feast or famine with these phono preamps and carts. I have seen just a few phono preamps, a volume control which made me wonder if that is a good idea. Certainly not to increase gain, but likely only for attenuation.
I am also with the idea of getting the low output model and adding a transformer.

I built the ANK L3 Phono amp. Actually its a clone but loaded with premium parts. It works great. No noise and sounds good but I need more gain. Is there anything I can do to this circuit to increase the gain a little? I am running a DV20X2 High output cart and it requires I turn my amp up to 3/4-7/8 volume to get listening levels where I like them. My previous phono amp had adjustable gain and was a fair bit louder. I have it loaded with all factory recommended values. Is there any resistor changes or something similiar I can change to get more gain out of it? View attachment 1300747
increase b+ and increase plate load resistors...