Any news on UCD700?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jaka Racman said:
Hi.

term switched mode amplifier or switching amplifier was used in literature since the advent of switch mode power supplies. Even first comercially available high power class d amplifier was called SWAMP I (SWitching AMPlifier). It was made by Infinity in the mid seventies.

I think there is no need to establish new names for technology that exists from the sixties or maybe even before.

Best regards,

Jaka Racman

Thanks for saving me that trouble :)

See Yves the problem with your idea is that while searching for patents, you're going to find very little with those terms.

"Switching amplifier" or "Switch mode amplifier" etc.... not even digital would find you much.

You can find ignorance just about anywhere you go, I see no need to start inventing new words to please those who would remain ignorant anyway. Simply be confident that you know better.

If you reaaaaaaaaally want to mess with their heads though, call it a continuously discrete amplifier :D

As far as made with one switch, wasnt' that what everyones first class d looked like?

Regards,
Chris

Call it what you want guys, I'll shut up, listen to the sweet music and call it "heaven" in my head ;)

Jan-Peter, as a true UcD convert I'd love to know about these "large customers" that are going to build a "very expensive amp" based on UcD.

I would love to hear what the technology can do in a money-no-object way - unfortunatly, most big customers won't even mention that it is Ucd in there.

So, if there's anything that is not confidential, can you share it with us?

And no, i'm not going to repeat the mistake of posting about UcD on another website like I did with the CI products, it's just general interest in the UcD possibilities.

Yves

What will Hypex recommend for driving the +12/-12 supplies on the amp? I think it should definitely be driven with a separate transformer. However I’m more interested in knowing what type of regulation they recommend.

My ideas on the matter are:

crc filter – fairly fool proof, reliable, but not exactly a reference voltage will very with mains voltage. (sound ?)

Lm78xx – simple to build, consent voltage, not as reliable as crc filter. (sound ?)

Jung supper regulator – very low nose, very consent voltage, lots of parts needed to build it and so most likely not the most reliable, may be effected by high RF energy coming from amp. (sound ?)

Leve

I have a question about the UCD 700 HG power supply.

Wont it end up limiting the output of the UCD700 module? Especially if you use one PSU for 2 UCD 700 modules?

Been looking at the PDF file with the specs on the UCD 700 and 20.000 uf is the recommended amount per rail, per channel, in an 4 ohm load.
That amounts to 40.000 uf per channel/UCD 700 module. 40.000 uf is also the total amount on the UCD 700 HG power supply.

To me this looks like one PSU per UCD 700 module is needed if you want max power from it, and thats just in an 4 ohm load, if you go even lower to like say 3 ohm even more should be needed.

Have I got this completely the wrong way? Or did I miss something about the PSU that makes it all clear?

I do hope im wrong since 250 EUR ex. vat for one PSU is expensive enough as it is and for that kind of money I would be expecting something that would supply all the power ever needed for a stereo UCD 700 setup.

Anyone care to explain how it all coems together?

Regards,

Christian

LBHajdu said:
Jung supper regulator – very low nose, very consent voltage, lots of parts needed to build it and so most likely not the most reliable, may be effected by high RF energy coming from amp. (sound ?)
The reliability has to do with which parts you add also and also what temperature you have. A Jung Regulator might very well work.

Originally posted by LBHajdu;
What will Hypex recommend for driving the +12/-12 supplies on the amp? I think it should definitely be driven with a separate transformer. However I’m more interested in knowing what type of regulation they recommend.

My ideas on the matter are:

crc filter – fairly fool proof, reliable, but not exactly a reference voltage will very with mains voltage. (sound ?)

Lm78xx – simple to build, consent voltage, not as reliable as crc filter. (sound ?)

Any good 'audiophile' designed power supply will do the job. Of course you have to use a separate supply, the GND connections must be made by the UcD700 PCB!

Originally posted by Christian;
I have a question about the UCD 700 HG power supply.

Wont it end up limiting the output of the UCD700 module? Especially if you use one PSU for 2 UCD 700 modules?

Been looking at the PDF file with the specs on the UCD 700 and 20.000 uf is the recommended amount per rail, per channel, in an 4 ohm load.
That amounts to 40.000 uf per channel/UCD 700 module. 40.000 uf is also the total amount on the UCD 700 HG power supply.

To me this looks like one PSU per UCD 700 module is needed if you want max power from it, and that’s just in an 4 ohm load, if you go even lower to like say 3 ohm even more should be needed.

Have I got this completely the wrong way? Or did I miss something about the PSU that makes it all clear?

Are you going to build a PA amplifier? Or an amp what must supply continuous power like an UPS?..... ;)

It’s no problem to connect two amps on one power supply. Don’t forget this amps are running on two times 90VDC, so even with 2x20.00uF you have an huge amount energy storing in the capacitors! By increasing the voltage the energy storage capacity goes quadrates up.

I do hope im wrong since 250 EUR ex. vat for one PSU is expensive enough as it is and for that kind of money I would be expecting something that would supply all the power ever needed for a stereo UCD 700 setup.

The price is correct. The power supply is build with the highest quality, and we use now two rectifiers, for every secondary voltage one. And we use the BHC Slitfoil 10.000uF / 100V, these caps are custom made because they don’t have a 100V rated capacitor in their standard program! The capacitors are REALLY EXPENSIVE:bigeyes:…….

But you don’t have to use our power supplies, you can easily build something by yourself. Please be careful with the high voltage!

We can only recommend you to build true mono blocks with these nice new amplifers......:angel:

We are now testing the first batch, and will released them in a few days on our webshop.

Jan-Peter

Thanks a lot for the answer Jan, glad that I was wrong. ;)

I knew it didnt make sense for such an expensive PSU not to be up to the task but I just wanted to be sure. :)

Sure I could build something myself but im no expert and I would rather buy a "finished" product instead that just need assembly. :)

I have another question, with the transformers for the UCD 700 that you sell how many watt would the amp provide in 8/4/2 ohm?

Could we get an example with a stereo UCD 700 setup with one 700 HG PSU and one 1200 VA stereo transformer?

Regards,

Christian

Sure I could build something myself but im no expert and I would rather buy a "finished" product instead that just need assembly.

I have another question, with the transformers for the UCD 700 that you sell how many watt would the amp provide in 8/4/2 ohm?

Could we get an example with a stereo UCD 700 setup with one 700 HG PSU and one 1200 VA stereo transformer?

With the 1200VA transformer in stereo (!) you can get approximately;
8 ohm - 450W
4 ohm - 675W (tested!)
2 ohm - 385W (because current limiting start to work!)

You will get the maximum power in a load of 3 ohm load, will be something like 1000W. Of course only in mono with the 1200VA transformer.

In the manual of the power supply we will draw how to mount two amps on one power supply. You have only to remove some SMD 0-ohm resistors, and place a solderlink. Of course we can do this for you on request.

Jan-Peter

Jan-Peter said:

With the 1200VA transformer in stereo (!) you can get approximately;
8 ohm - 450W
4 ohm - 675W (tested!)
2 ohm - 385W (because current limiting start to work!)

You will get the maximum power in a load of 3 ohm load, will be something like 1000W. Of course only in mono with the 1200VA transformer.

In the manual of the power supply we will draw how to mount two amps on one power supply. You have only to remove some SMD 0-ohm resistors, and place a solderlink. Of course we can do this for you on request.

Jan-Peter

Oh thats quite nice, 450 in 8 ohm is insane :D

So if I should be doing the INSANE thing and parallel couple two 1200VA Transformers instead of only one and still use them in a stereo UCD 700 setup with one PSU, what could I expect to get in 4 and 2 ohm?

Regards,

Christian

So if I should be doing the INSANE thing and parallel couple two 1200VA Transformers instead of only one and still use them in a stereo UCD 700 setup with one PSU, what could I expect to get in 4 and 2 ohm?

No, that's not insane but stupid....;) You better make it complete a stereo mono block with two 1200VA transformers and two UcD700 supply, that's INSANE...:angel:

You will not get more power in 2 ohm, the current limiter will start to work. However the 4 ohm power will go to +/- 800W.

Jan-Peter

Thanks alot for the info. :)

Ive been wondering, what if one were to use a transformer with only 2x45 instead of 2x60? That would be roughly 230/460/920 watts in 8/4/2 Ohm and the current limiter wont start to work in this case right?

Im not after the huge power of the UCD 700 but after the better sound quality that it provides compared to UCD180/400. Also, I like to know that I have lots of power in reserve. :cool: Basically im gonna treat the UCD 700 as an UCD 400 on steroids. :D

Is there any disadvantage to this in anyway?

Regards,

Christian

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.