Any new news on FirstWatt??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
:)

you just forgot the Austrian wine...
There is even Trockenbeerenauslese (dry berries selection) in the very east part of Austria, on par with a good Sauternes (quality and pricewise).
For those who do not know: This wine is made from the almost dried out fruits, shrinked by the bothrytis fungus.

Sounds a lot better than " Dried Berries selection ".
California is just the place to enjoy such a bottle, warm and sunny.
I wish i could offer you a bottle of Heiniken, but i never offer what i am unable to swallow myself.

btw, this thread is good for checking my alcoholic beverage level.
Does it read " Any New News " on top of this page ? :clown:

On the topic :

i noticed on the pictures of the F1 that the labour force is heavilly coated with thermal pasta. Thermal pasta is still preferred ?
Secondly, why the metal rings on top of the devices ?

For those not yet bored: the powersupply of the F1 seems modestly equipped for a Pass vintage. With good reason ?

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
jacco vermeulen said:
i noticed on the pictures of the F1 that the labour force is heavilly coated with thermal pasta.

Being the labor force, I can confirm that I am heavily coated
with thermal pasta at the end of the day.

And how much power do you think I need for 10 watts / ch?

The output noise of the amp is 30 uV unweighted. Show me
another one that quiet. :cool:

Nelson Pass said:
I can confirm that I am heavily coated
with thermal pasta at the end of the day.

The output noise i already read in the F1 manual, -90.5 dBV is indeed astonishing.
I am sorry that my question was not very clear, i referred to the size and number of the power caps.
As the topology is single ended there are no other gain devices able to reduce the noise level.
Given the level of the biasing currents clearly the current sources dramatically reduce the noise level, as you stated.

I already read something in those lines in Mr Thagard's article on his 100 watt class A monaural amplifier in Audio magazine, i even built the things.:xeye:
I should read more carefully or undoubtebly i will be slapped with the crimestoppers textbook encore soon.:clown:

Maybe i have a future.
I switched to Ceramic TO3 discs and silicone sheets to avoid all the white grease lines on my clothes, myself and every artifact that came near me.
If the topnotch surgeon can get his hands dirty so can i.

I did use washers before, i should use technical words as washer more often to have the proper words at hand.
On double holed Sanken transistors i have used small spiked rectangular washers.
It was not clear to me to use large washers, as shown on the picture of the F1, for distributing the pressure even more.

I 've been following this article with great interrest.

about 12 years ago I first made my own current driven loudspeakers.

I was as astonished by the results.

Simply using a car speaker Tandy in a simple small bassreflex enclosure.

I am using the same principle still but with Fostex speakers now.....

My experement was hoever using the opamp approuch..

changed to be used in a balanced amplifier.

now I use something that looks a lot like the Crown Delta Omega..

Still your experience seems to be that this does not give the best results..

Does anyone have idees about this?

btw YOUR Arcicle current soiurse amp and sens full range drivers is reallly really good.

From my point of view the F1 is somewhat like an Aleph P1.7 , biased
for power applications , without the feedback resistors .
It has 3 current sources instead of 4 , a total of 5 fets for channel.
I wonder if the already exceptional performance on the Fostex FE206e can be upgraded raising the amplifier voltage , from 25 volt to say 32 or 40.

The next experiments will include a similar amp but with Aleph variable CS and no neg fb. Will it perform optimally with conventional multiway speakers ?
Certainly it will do wonders on the JX92s ! IMHO the JX92s enjoys a fiew more watts ... say 20 or 25 and the AlephCS will be a pretty good
tool for the efficiency laks of the JX.

How about a nice bit of Tokaji. "WINE OF KINGS, KING OF WINES" ...the favourate drink of Peter the Great, Catherine the Great, Frederic II. of Prussia, Voltaire, Goethe, and Schubert.
Do yourself a favor and go for 5 to 6 puttonyos aszú. If I recall correctly 93 was a good year.

Oh yeah, this thread is about the First Watt. I can only dream of purchasing one of NP's dream machines right now. So what would a circuit look like to try out a power trans-conductance amplifier with the lm3875 chips and radio shack drivers that I have laying around?

It took a while to work up the nerve to ask about this here, but I figured NP had already touched on the chipamp genre with SUSY. Please be gentle.
:clown:

PSz.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
stefanobilliani said:
I wonder if the already exceptional performance on the Fostex FE206e can be upgraded raising the amplifier voltage , from 25 volt to say 32 or 40.

Within dissipation limits, that's true - at 100 watts dissipation,
you can have more voltage or current, but not both.

Originally posted by stefanobilliani
The next experiments will include a similar amp but with Aleph variable CS and no neg fb. Will it perform optimally with conventional multiway speakers ?

Been there. Works fine. Still acts like a current source, so
you're stuck with no damping factor, which in most conventional
speakers is a drawback.

:cool:

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PSz. said:
So what would a circuit look like to try out a power trans-conductance amplifier with the lm3875 chips and radio shack drivers that I have laying around?

Take any voltage amplifier and insert various amounts of
resistance in series with it. Very few loudspeakers actually
want a pure current source, and practically none want more
than about 30 ohm (IMHO). This means that you can easily
simulate this with series resistance and an ordinary amp.

I was thinking more along the lines of figure 23 of article J12 from Hawksford. http://www.essex.ac.uk/ese/research/audio_lab/malcolms_publications.html

What value for Rf? Any other required components? Just define the input impedence add PS decoupling and away we go? Two resistors plus two caps and one chip equals working amp?

Maybe drive my 40-1197s or get some power hungry Jordans.

Best regards,
PSz.:)

PSz. said:
How about a nice bit of Tokaji.

Now thats a name to ravel about !

It'll probably take 6 weeks on this thread to unraffle the difference of Tokaji, Tokaj, and Tokay.
Ok, i am not Hungarian, and the stuff gives me a bleeding headache.

Ah, i notice i am not the only one observing the 5 fets, and trying to follow the PCB traces to determine the divisions.
After an hour of contemplating whether to buy the K1000 amplifier on Ebay and having second thoughts by the sight of its horrible plug-in transformer jacco is in a bad mood:dead:

Attachments

• k1000.jpg
    k1000.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 489
The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PSz. said:
I was thinking more along the lines of figure 23 of article J12 from Hawksford. http://www.essex.ac.uk/ese/research/audio_lab/malcolms_publications.html

I would take that as a simplified version, of course.

It's odd, and I've remarked on it before (as have a few others),
that the Big Resistor in series or the Resistor-in-the-Loop
approaches don't seem to sound as good, although there are
no clear answers as to why that might be.

Thank you for your replies, I think I've got a bit more learning to do.

It's odd, and I've remarked on it before (as have a few others),

sorry to ask, but any specific places I might look? :xeye:
I've searched the forum, read quite a bit... but I'm not sure where to start for a workable power opamp based trans-conductance amp.

Perhaps this is my chance to sling solder and burn up a few parts... all in the name of science:hot: :D

the Big Resistor in series or the Resistor-in-the-Loop

please forgive me once again, but these approaches dont sound as good as what?

Time for me to hit the books (soldering iron?).

havin fun
PSz.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.