Any machinists on here?

FWIW, I once thought of putting a turntable bearing on the market. The body was going to be bronze. When I priced the material to make it, the 12' bar was over $400. Then there was the cost of cutting it up and machining the parts. The end result was the bearing cost was way too high, even if I sold them with no profit at all, so that was the end of that project. I did make a prototype out of cast iron but that was equally problematic in small quantities.

And the expense of finding a TIG welder, they will charge something, and the effort of going and coming from the workshop, and waiting for the part to cool down enough to transport.
The process will take an hour at the shop.

Brass does not crack suddenly, so why should an old bit of brass break?
And can you fix it by welding if it was bad material, or an over tightened screw?
Brass is brazed by gas welding here, they use a borax powder flux, which protects against oxidation.
TIG - basically Argon welding with a tungsten electrode - is not needed.

Like I said, make a new one.

Last edited:
I have a quantity of 360 brass on hand, and can get bronze if needed. I have lathe, gas and TIG if needed. Plus 30+ yrs of factory maintenance experience, and 3 trade schools. Location upstate NY like Conrad Hoffman. Can probably duplicate your old part if there's not much milling involved.