AnTek Toroid Grounding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm using an AnTek AS-05T240 & AS-0509 in the power supply section of a tube pre-amp. It has a "purple wire" grounds that I believe are for the magnetic shield. Any special recommendations on how to hook this up to the ground of the AC line input (using a EMI power inlet filter). I'm of course worried about ground loops.

And further any general comments or direction on protection for ground loops is most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

BTW - this is my first post, so please be gentle :)

If this is an inter-winding screen/shield, then it's purpose is to conduct VHF interference to Chassis.
Check for continuity to all other windings. It should appear as open circuit.

It can ONLY do this effectively if the connection to Chassis has VERY LOW Inductance.
That means the lead MUST be VERY SHORT and connected to Chassis at the transformer.

Thank you Andrew for the quick reply. Any other words of wisdom on general "best practices" for ground loops? I've been scanning all the forums and re-learning my EE degree principles from 25 years ago.

The chassis of the pre-amp is walnut with a top and back plate made of aluminum.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.