• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Another RH-84 build thread this time with a JR-Audio OT (tertiary winding) and Salas '6v6' nay 6P43P-E

I'll think it will become an integrated amp. With direct-in or something as an alternative.

As usual I started by giving the transformers (Transformers by https://jr-tubeaudio.com/) a makeover. With some hammerite and I gave them my Magnequest EXO-800 brass shrouds. (Exo-800 are small enough to put under a chassis)

Choke is a One-Electron UBT-1 (Primaries only ofcourse) that was the odd one out. (I once built a three channel 6c41c for my home theatre. But only ever used it for stereo)
PXL_20230123_151337476-EDIT.jpg

Gave the covers a coat or two of Urethane because I hate polishing brass since my stint in the South African Navy ;)

PXL_20230123_001755232.jpg

Mock up:

PXL_20240126_212237338.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The Salas Pre-Amplifier with 6P43P-E came into my mind because John who wound them for me said you lose some gain with the tertiary winding.
I love my Salas but wanted to try a much much cheaper tube (6v6 even new ones aren't exactly cheap. Not expensive but certainly not cheap)

I like the subchassis thing so decided to hack my rh-84 boards for the purpose of building a 6p43p on there.

Not working yet. Because I hacked a RH-84 board to build the pre on and I must have miswired something...so just a glamour shot for now.

Pre-out for subwoofers. One Electron UBT-1 as power supply choke. All DC-Link polyprop in power supply. Cathode feedback output transformers from https://jr-tubeaudio.com/ (South Africa). Bronze covers from a Magnequest EXO-800.
Output transformers have a darker hammerite because the lighter green did not work well with the brass.

PXL_20240424_075024398.jpg

Reactions: 4 users