Another headphone amplifier... Advices pls.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Youre right...
I've changed the led with GAAS Red Led (formerly GAS Led) and everything is ok now...
Thanks a lot.
Can you you say something about the circuit?
The CVS s look like very fine. What about the BD139/140? They sounds good? I will use that instead of a TPA6120 amplifier project (because I cannot manage SMD things:) ... Do you think it sounds like TPA?

Armchair guess/opinion, worth every cent you've paid for it, but it looks like a very straightforward opamp buffer circuit. It should work with almost any parts, but watch out for high speed/slew opamps- you may need to fool with the compensation to make it stable. I'd also investigate the bias current by watching the voltage across the emitter resistors- is it what you want, and is it stable with temperature? I'd try to use a film cap on the input. IMO, it's sufficient effort to build anything and get it in a box- the circuit itself is almost trivial by comparison, so I'd tend to go with a bit more complexity, or with a class A design.

In fact I have a class A SE design with opa134+IRF510 hexfet. It sounds really good. However its a very hot guy. And I dont like that!
If we come to your analyses;
About the frequency compensation.. Do you mean the 1n2 on NFB line + 47pF on input not enough for that role?
And I am worried about the thermal runaways also... So if I make a thermal connection between BDs+1N4148s+4.7Rs on the same heatsink. The thermal compensation will be done?
Thx..

@Dxv:
I'd say a TPA6120 will outperfom that circuit easily.

@AndrewT:
It looks like a somewhat strange implementation of a regular current dumper output stage (and one is somewhere in W.Jungs PDFs, can't find it at the moment)... normally we would have a resistor instead of the back-to-back diodes, or at least parallel to them. Biasing/linearity of the buffer stage look a bit sketchy to me, at a first glance.

- Klaus

Dxvideo said:
Youre right...
I've changed the led with GAAS Red Led (formerly GAS Led) and everything is ok now...
Thanks a lot.
Can you you say something about the circuit?
The CVS s look like very fine. What about the BD139/140? They sounds good? I will use that instead of a TPA6120 amplifier project (because I cannot manage SMD things:) ... Do you think it sounds like TPA?
I have made both an amp similar to the one you mention and also a TPA6120 based one.
Here and here

Personally I prefer the TPA6120 based amp but is made of mainly SMD parts which may cause some people trouble.

peranders said:

I have made both an amp similar to the one you mention and also a TPA6120 based one.
Here and here

Personally I prefer the TPA6120 based amp but is made of mainly SMD parts which may cause some people trouble.

Hmmm..
Your (semi)discrete amplifier is better than mine.. Its more complex and I think it has better sound..
Anyway, I cannot read the schematics of your TPA6120 amplifier, and also cannot download the pdf file (because of non membership I think).
Youre too experienced diyer on TPA6120 (at least better than me!) So may be you can help me a bit;
I will use that headamp, after my PGA2311 project (I am working on). Which is;
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I will split the output of PGA to a gainclone and this headphone amp. As you can see, I have a buffer (LM4562) before PGA and PGA also has an opamp inside.
Under that conditions; should I put a buffer before TPA like yours? Isnt it too much for a preamp? One input buffer, one PGAs opamp, one TPAs buffer and one TPA makes four opamp on signal line...
And a commercial question; I saw some price informations in you web site.. What rate you use? May you put prices in Euro? Because I cannot use SMD devices, and may be I can purchase one of yours...:D
Thx..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.