Another DIY Ribbon thread

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
tinitus - Very interesting. How did you determine that the size and shape of the magnetic field had been changed by the copper strip? Are you measuring or simulating?

Denis

I use the tip of a very small screw driver :D amasing how much it can tell you :)

Its clear to me that the field in front of magnets gets flatter with the copper
It also bends down closer to the edge

In other words, it gets more concentrated

one other advantage of this design is that it makes use of wide and very strong magnets possible, without affecting the gap size
my magnets are too small and should be twice as big

mine may pull about 10pounds, and twice the size pulls something like 50pounds

another issue that might be worth to consider is the size of the magnet surface having contact with the iron
it might matter, but I dont know about that

Attachments

• ribbon magnet system.JPG
    ribbon magnet system.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 1,080
I use the tip of a very small screw driver :D amasing how much it can tell you :)

Its clear to me that the field in front of magnets gets flatter with the copper
It also bends down closer to the edge

In other words, it gets more concentrated

Hello Tinitus,

copper is diamagnetic, which means μrel <1.

Permeability (electromagnetism) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But a value of 0.999994 for copper compared to 1.00000037 for air seems unlikely to have
noticeable influence on the design of the magnetic circuit itself.

You should get a hall probe for measurements, i fear the effect might boil down
to "wishful thinking".

Holding the screw driver in a very slightly different angle, should have
by far more influence on the forces you experience than the copper being
in the gap or not.

To measure the forces that way you would need a precision robot handling
the screw driver and very sensitive force sensors ...

No job for a human being, as i see it.

Or is there something i am overlooking (any of the physicists in here) ?

Maybe cooling the copper down using liquid helium might help to make
it superconducting with μrel =0 ?

Kind Regards

Last edited:
I take a sheet of iron 1.5 mm thick and cut rectangles 2.5sm width. Each tweeter needs 3 such rectangles-guides. Magnets are glued on guides. Clothespins help to fix magnets during gluing.
index.php

I cut a piece of 9-ply plywood. This the piece is basis for the magnetic system.
index.php

index.php

In these tweeters I used ribbon from the condenser, it is thinner than the food foil.
index.php

There is a machine for corrugating of ribbon on the photo.
index.php

I make two ribbon with different thicknesses and step of corrugating.
index.php

Mandatory installation of grid
index.php

They sound really awesome, no one believe when see the ribbon moving, im with problem some problems ($$) on project of ribbon supports, a guy said that will cost arround 80USD to make 4 teflon supports for the aluminium ribbon, im thinking now on some cheaper material, later i can put a gold coated pcb to act as ribbon contacts.

How this will be a wide range speaker (arround 300~20khz) im with some doubts on back filling of speaker, with no filling thats to much distortion from the chamber, i tried with 25mm 33D density foam and got a good result, i thinking on make 3 o 4 damping layers: 33d foam, glass fiber and cotton all to prevent any refraction and distortion from back walls. This is the problem on use non dipole ribbon tweeter :(

About the weigh, only ribbons are arround 30 kg each, the cabinets idk yet, but with the amount of mdf used on they i can say arround 80 kg each, aaaah i forgot... more 10kg of 6" midbass!

Murilo

Can't You just cut slices out of the back chamber to let the air out?
You would still have a magnetic circuit that way.
Like Magnepans ribbon tweeter.
ribex.jpg

Otherwise You will have to calculate the gap-chambers acoustical impedance factor. You will in affect have a Helmholz resonator and thus a monopole ribbon.

Cheers from Sweden!

Last edited:
To avoid nasty reflections from all those odd shaped magnets and focus the magnetig field a solution like this could be made.
And it is even dipolar as there are ribbons in front and back.
You can even listen for the difference between monopolar response (disconnect the back ribbon) and dipolar response.

To explain the picture:
Red: Iron
Grey : magnets
Green: damping material
Blue : Ribbons

Attachments

• RIBBON.JPG
    RIBBON.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 680
MY LATEST REBUILD.

These are my latest rebuilds and I think these are my last designs, famous last words! I have tried various designs over the last 20 years, but since the introduction of neo magnets, this has peeked my interest. I am in the process of rebuilding all my designs using 23 micron Mylar A. I have several pairs to rebuild including ferrite ones. I did use angle iron on these, but I have reduced the weight considerably by not using the angle iron in my upcoming rebuilds. I am very happy with the bass which goes down to 20Hz, and is very tight and focussed. Unlike the bass on the esl 57's and 63's which is quite plummy and resonant.:headbash::smash:

Attachments

• SAM_0653.JPG
    SAM_0653.JPG
    184 KB · Views: 645
  • SAM_0654.JPG
    SAM_0654.JPG
    639.4 KB · Views: 642
  • SAM_0652.JPG
    SAM_0652.JPG
    126.9 KB · Views: 586
Some more pictures of my work.

This should help anyone interested in building FRP .No crossovers and down to 20k. I fact I have one of my designs as a sub woofer:smash:

Attachments

• SAM_0548.JPG
    SAM_0548.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 166
  • SAM_0543.JPG
    SAM_0543.JPG
    394.2 KB · Views: 193
  • SAM_0523.JPG
    SAM_0523.JPG
    399.3 KB · Views: 241
  • SAM_0561.JPG
    SAM_0561.JPG