Angel Hair Speaker Wool Manufacturer

On another forum, the Mundorf Angel Hair, used a wool in a speaker enclosure was receiving a good appraisal from a few users.
I followed up on a bit of additional supplied info, and the following is what I discovered.
It might be of use to somebody, as a material to be considered on a project.

If one does their homework, they should be able to satisfy themselves about this material as a usable product.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________-

The Link is to the Dutch Manufacturer.
On their products list, Teijinconex is the only Fiber Material I could find.
If the Angel Hair is this Material, as I assume it is, as I also found a reference to Twaron Angel Hair. then this link will show the full intended purpose of the material, as proposed by the producer.
One thing for sure is it is a material with a intended purpose for State of the Art designs.

https://www.teijinaramid.com/en/product ... ple-fiber/

Of course it's usable; it's a fibrous damping material, so if you need that, it's a viable option. But acoustically speaking, there is nothing magical or especially profound about any such material. They all have subtly different properties / absorbtion coefficients at different frequencies (see Augspurger's example measurements) but ultimately do more or less the same thing. Typically fibreglass & long-hair wool variations tend to be slightly lossier than, say, polyester hollow-fibre material, but we are not talking vast differences, and many of these get swamped by adjusting the packing density. Generally speaking for stuffing purposes, all of the popular choices work fine. You do tend to get more differences in lagging since the location, thickness & densities / properties tend to have greater variability.

Reactions: 1 user
Twaron's angel hair are really small sized fibers, much smaller than either fiberglass or real long hair wool. For midrange frequency damping you really only need a small amount of Angel Hair to achieve similar damping compared to the other materials mentioned. Simple impedance tests confirm that. Indeed Teijin is the producer of this material. One of the employees from Teijin discovered it's properties as a damping product for audio and Twaron's Angel Hair was born. A new function for what otherwise would be considered waste material as it is made from the leftover byproducts for the fibers they spin. :)

Not a bad material at al but not a wonder cure either. :)

Last edited:
Twaron Angel Hair used within Phonotherm or Puranit Cabinets, now there's a whole new concept in the environmental ethics for speakers.

Out of interest, as the Manufacturer Produces Fibres that are capable of similar roles to Kevlar, is there any Speaker Drive Units using weaves from their materials ??

Like Scott said, there's nothing magical about any of it. On the opposite end of the money spectrum, I was able to recycle some 1/2" (12 mm) thick damping material from the outside of a dead dishwasher I was discarding. The whole thing was covered in enough cotton felt insulation to line the chambers of a multitude of back-loaded horns! Woo-Hoo!!! :D

Sure, it's a bilious shade of green - but who cares? Nobody's going to see it anyway. Twice-recycled, clean, and it works perfectly. :cool:

Out of interest, as the Manufacturer Produces Fibres that are capable of similar roles to Kevlar, is there any Speaker Drive Units using weaves from their materials ??

I'm pretty sure Pioneer had some Aramid coned drivers, but I don't think they sourced those weaves from Teijin. They still could though, as Teijin appears to have a Japanese plant.

These seems to fit your search completely :). Maybe even the older B&W cones are Aramid based, who knows. The color fits.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Looking for wool felt to line a speaker cabinet, I stumbled upon these:

https://thefeltstore.com/products/m...98829&pr_ref_pid=4499588120653&pr_seq=uniform

https://thefeltstore.com/collections/para-aramid-felt-kevlar/products/para-aramid-kevlar®-by-foot

Given the great reviews of Mundorf’s Twaron Angel Hair, has anyone given these a try? I imaging cutting to size would be a challenge, but on the plus side, the speaker would be bulletproof.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I've used some byproduct that might have been similar. It was a sort of wool made of microfibers in various sizes, all tiny (micro) but long. It looked and felt a bit like a mesh of spider web.
Surprisingly effective at killing resonances in speaker boxes. More so than anything else I've ever seen.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Perhaps I worry too much, but every cabinet lining material seems to have a downside:

I like the idea of wool and that 1/4” or 3/8” felts are sufficient, but moths keep eating my sweaters….

Denim is an attractive alternative, but the recommended 2-inch depth is prohibitive and dust concerning….

I’d go with mineral wool if I could find formaldehyde-free, but that’s not available anywhere I’ve looked….

The mask and gloves and precautions to fiberglass are pretty unattractive….

I don’t want a foam that degrades into dust and smells bad….

Melamine foam is currently my top choice, but I’m poking around for alternative materials for lining cabinets….

I've used some byproduct that might have been similar. It was a sort of wool made of microfibers in various sizes, all tiny (micro) but long. It looked and felt a bit like a mesh of spider web.
Surprisingly effective at killing resonances in speaker boxes. More so than anything else I've ever seen.

Good to know you’ve found some alternatives!

Yes, $10 a square foot for the 1/2” Nomex felt is too expensive for me, but the 1/4” is comparable in price to wool or denim. From my limited reading, the diameter and fiber length of wool and cotton are what make them effective at sound absorption. Aramid has a similar diameter and the fibers can be long. I imagine other felts, or even Scotch Brite, may be similar, but finding the right ones? I thought I’d ask.