And now for something completely different....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Circlotron wrote:

"I agree. The Bible say that God will re-assert his rule at some point he determines most suitable. Rule by mankind will be forcibly removed by him forever. I can't wait for that day to happen.I think me may well see it in our lifetime. "

Circlo, are you serious? What a sad way to wade through life!

Jan Didden

janneman said:

Circlotron, how come you think we are degenerated? Have you looked into the state of humanity in the (long) past? You remember Spanisch inquisition (not so long ago)? How the Romans treated people just a couple of 1000 years ago? Dzjengis Khan ravaging most of Eurasia and killing a sizeable fraction of the population? I can say with as much and probably more conviction than you that we are going forward, albeit excruciatingly slow. Call me an optimist.

Jan Didden
The military, political and religious element is no better today than what it was then. Only that their spin doctors call it "defence".:rolleyes: What is going downhill most is the attitudes and morals of ordinary people. Those in seats of power for the most part hit rock bottom long ago. When you compare the idyllic situation of our first parents way back, and where they and their offspring would have progressed to today, in contrast to where we are nowadays, saddled as we are with old age, sickness and death and a stack of other manifestations of imperfection, we are indeed "miserable and pitiable and poor and blind and naked". Basically our lives are a one way trip to nowhere, a mere travesty of what they could have been if our human father had not gotten himself thrown out of God's family.

janneman said:
Circlotron wrote:

"I agree. The Bible say that God will re-assert his rule at some point he determines most suitable. Rule by mankind will be forcibly removed by him forever. I can't wait for that day to happen.I think we may well see it in our lifetime. "

Circlo, are you serious? What a sad way to wade through life!

Jan Didden
Serious? Yep. Sad?? Are you kidding? What would you rather have? Politicians ruling over you as they do now, or the creator of the universe and all it's physical laws that make hifi possible, ruling over you. By "ruling" I don't mean it in the way that human rulers do, I mean it in a way that is fair and happy for all, with perfect mind and health and life just like humans were in the beginning. No human rulers involved, they simply don't have the ability. Imagine having all eternity to invent and construct and enjoy things and build stuff for your friends and simply have enough time to do all the things you ever wanted (upright, proper things that is) without the drudgery and slavery and frustration that fills our (including my) short lives now. That's what I am talking about. The kind of stuff churches fight tooth and nail to discredit and try and prevent you hearing about.

Some nice sayings....

A Cherokee elder is teaching his grandson about life.

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

"One wolf is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

"The other is wolf is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

"This same fight is going on inside you -- and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather,

"Which wolf will win?"

The old man replied, "The one you feed."

:confused:

It all began with an infinite light that filled all and left no room for a world to be. Then that light was withheld so the world might be created in the resulting void.

Then the world was created, with the purpose of returning to that original state of light--yet to remain a world.

:angel:

In the fabric of space and in the nature of matter, as in a great work of art, there is,written small, the artist's signature...
there is an intelligence that antedates the universe. (Carl Sagan)

:earth:

The Law of Fives, illustrated with a picture of five pebbles:
<PRE>
O

O O

O O

</PRE>

Do these 5 pebbles <i>really</i> form a pentagon?

Those biased by order would say yes. Those biased by the chaos
would say no. Criss-cross them and it is a star.

An illuminated Mind can see all of these, yet he does not insist that any one is really true, or that none at all is true. Stars, and pentagons, order and disorder are all his own creations and he may do with them as he wishes

:crackup:

Re: Some nice sayings....

Kuei Yang Wang said:
A Cherokee elder is teaching his grandson about life.

"A fight is going on inside me," he said to the boy. "It is a terrible fight and it is between two wolves.

"One wolf is anger, envy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

"The other is wolf is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion, and faith.

"This same fight is going on inside you -- and inside every other person, too."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather,

"Which wolf will win?"

The old man replied, "The one you feed."

:confused:

It all began with an infinite light that filled all and left no room for a world to be. Then that light was withheld so the world might be created in the resulting void.

Then the world was created, with the purpose of returning to that original state of light--yet to remain a world.

:angel:

In the fabric of space and in the nature of matter, as in a great work of art, there is,written small, the artist's signature...
there is an intelligence that antedates the universe. (Carl Sagan)

:earth:

The Law of Fives, illustrated with a picture of five pebbles:
<PRE>
O

O O

O O

</PRE>

Do these 5 pebbles <i>really</i> form a pentagon?

Those biased by order would say yes. Those biased by the chaos
would say no. Criss-cross them and it is a star.

An illuminated Mind can see all of these, yet he does not insist that any one is really true, or that none at all is true. Stars, and pentagons, order and disorder are all his own creations and he may do with them as he wishes

:crackup:
very nice

it is not in my liking to impose someone my impressing
I only ask out in space: do someone see things my way?

so I could perhaps feel somewhat less alone

Re: Some nice sayings....

Kuei Yang Wang said:
An illuminated Mind can see all of these, yet he does not insist that any one is really true, or that none at all is true. Stars, and pentagons, order and disorder are all his own creations and he may do with them as he wishes :crackup:
Sounds to me like another way of saying their is no such thing as absolute truth, therefore just do as you please if it feels right to you and the majority don't object! If so then I respectfully disagree that this is the right course to follow. Just as surely as the laws of physics are set in concrete, figuratively speaking, so too are the moral laws of the one who created them, and for that matter created us to work well in conjunction with them. That is the only way to lasting happiness.

It's now 7 minutes past midnight. Time to go. Bye all.

Hi,

Originally posted by Circlotron

I agree. The Bible say that God will re-assert his rule at some point he determines most suitable. Rule by mankind will be forcibly removed by him forever. I can't wait for that day to happen.I think me may well see it in our lifetime.

This "in our lifetime" is dicey business. One might also argue that we may be transformermed (or transform ourselfves as Jesus thought) into a state where we can sensibly govern ourselves individually in such a way that we are in accord and harmony with the creator, our fellow men and the rest of the creation.

As to "the Bible says", this is a term to be used with care. The current Bible is a canon resulting from the selective exclusion of certain books in both Hebrew/Aramaic scripture and the predominantly Greek christian scripture. By "commitee" decision varios councils excluded certain books and included others.

Translations from the original languages where made into latain often with an either subconcious or concious translation of certain terms embodying ideas to conform with then current doctrin and often quite out of tune with the original meaning. The exclusion of such items as the gospel of (doubting) Thomas and a significant portion of the hebrew/aramaic scripture as well as the clear editorialising which is the root cause of many of the percieved contradictions in the Bible also warn against to simplistic and literal view. Yes, the larger body of the Bible as published today contains inspired writings but omits several crucial to the clear understanding of the mysteries.

I shall be content to work on my own transformation and to expect nothing of my creator, other than well meaning tolerance and forgiveness of my shortcomings of which I'm only too keenly aware.

Sayonara, 93

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Different

Circlotron wrote (snipped):

"By "ruling" I don't mean it in the way that human rulers do, I mean it in a way that is fair and happy for all, with perfect mind and health and life just like humans were in the beginning. No human rulers involved, they simply don't have the ability. Imagine having all eternity to invent and construct and enjoy things and build stuff for your friends and simply have enough time to do all the things you ever wanted (upright, proper things that is) without the drudgery and slavery and frustration that fills our (including my) short lives now."

I think we have a fundamental different view of the world.
If you talk about "with perfect mind and health and life just like humans were in the beginning", do you mean, say, the average person in 11th century London dying from the pest and rotting in the streets at 34 years? Or do you mean our hunter ancestors trying to kill a bull Mammoth in freezing cold so that their children would live another few days until the next crisis?

If you talk about "having all eternity to invent and construct and enjoy things and build stuff for your friends and simply have enough time to do all the things you ever wanted ", do you think about a kind of heavenly lab with tubes that don't break down, batteries that go on forever and amps that never oscillate? What DO you image?

And by the way, "(upright, proper things that is)", according to whom? You ask me to exchange a world that is working, sort of, for a ruler who determines what is upright and proper. This sounds sooo familiar, I think I'll take my changes right here and now, working to spread some happiness in my immediate environment.

I like people to develop their capabilities and be the best they can, because that is what humans are all about. There may or may not be a God; if there is one, he has a lousy policy of first creating people so-called to his image, and then giving them tasks of which he must know half of them will fail. And don't get me started about his customer service personnell here on earth.

Jan Didden

So if it's supposed to be something completely different let me quote some texts by Vivekananda from Vedanta:

"Man is devine and all that we see around us is the outcome of that consciousness of the divine. Everything that is strong and good and powerful in human nature is the outcome of that divinity, and though potential in many, there is no difference between man and man essentially, all being alike devine. There is, as it were, an infinite ocean behind, and you and I are so many waves, coming out of that infinite ocean. And each one of us is trying his best to manifest that infinite outside. So, potentially, each one of us has that infinite ocean of Existance, Knowledge, and Bliss as our birthright, our real nature, and the difference betwen us is caused by the greater or lesser power to manifest that divinity. Therfore Vedanta lays down that each man should be treated, not as what he manifests, but as what he stands for. Each human being stands for the divine, and therefore every teacher should be helpful, not by condemning man, but by helping him to call forth the divinity that is within him.

The Advaita is the third and the most advanced school of Vedanta, and is regarded to be the fairest flower of philosophy and religon that any country in any age has produced, where human thought attains its highest expression and even goes beyond the mystery which seems to be impenetrable. This is the non-dualistic Vedanta. It is too abstruse, too elevated, to be the religion of the masses.

What does the Advaitist declare? He says: If there is a God, that God must be both the material and the efficient cause of the Universe. Not only is He the Creator, but He is also the created. He Himself is the universe.

How can that be? God, the pure, the Spirit, has become the universe? Yes-apparently so. That which all ignorant people see as universe does not really exist. What are you and I and all these thing we see? Mere self-hynotism. There is but one Existance, the Infinite, the Ever-blessed One. In that Existance we dream all these various dreams. It is the Atman, beyond all, the Infinite, beyond the known, beyond the knowable. In and through That we see the universe. It is the only reality. It is everything we see around, It is everything, minus the name and form. Take away the form, take away the name--what remains is the Atman. It is the name, the form, the body, which are material, and they make all the difference. If you take away these two differences of name and form, the universe is one. There are not two, but one everywhere. You and I are one.

What does Advaitist preach? He dethrones all the gods that ever existed or ever will exist in the universe, and place on that throne the Self of man, the Atman, higher than the sun and the moon, higher than the heavens, greater than his universe itself. No books, no scriptures, no science, can ever imagine the glory of the Self, which appears as man -- the most glorious God that ever was, the only God that ever existed, exists, or ever will exist. I am to worship, therefore, none but my Self. "Who can help me, the Infinite Being of the universe?" These are foolish dreams, hallucinations. Who ever helped anyone? None. Wherever you see a weak man, a dualist, weeping and wailing for help from somwhere above the skies, it is because he does not know that the skies are also in him. He wants help from the skies and the help comes. We see that it comes, but it comes from within himself, and he mistakes it as coming from without.

Thus man, after this vain search for various gods outside himself, completes the circle and comes back to the point from which he started -- the human soul. And he finds that the God he was searching for in hill and dale, whom he was seeking in every brook, in every temple, in churches and heavens, that God whom he was even imagining as sitting in heaven and ruling the world, is his own Self. I am He, and He is I. None but I was God, and this little 'I' never existed." ;)

And although it is only a quote, in big part are also my believes as well.:angel:

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Circlotron wrote:

" When you compare the idyllic situation of our first parents way back, and where they and their offspring would have progressed to today, in contrast to where we are nowadays, saddled as we are with old age, sickness and death and a stack of other manifestations of imperfection, we are indeed "miserable and pitiable and poor and blind and naked".

Can I ask you, do you take literally the fable of paradise and the idyllic situation of first man and woman, created as the first humans? Are you a creationist rather than an evolutionist? If so, I understand you fully.

Jan Didden

I am both creationist and darwinist

they both are needed for me to get a hang of the complete picture

that is not to say that someone else can not get it
to make sense in "his/hers" special way

until I get somewhat wiser
I have to use Creator+Darwin
not to go out of mind trying to comprehend

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Peter,

excellent quote... it is clear that this is at least one of the sources for a statement i try to live by "God is us in the future", which given the context it came in, is that within each man is the potential to become god-like, not in the sense of all-powerful, but in terms of realizing his human potential, and acting in the spirit that giving (love, charity, understanding, ...) is the only true path to fullfillment, that everything you give reaps many times its investment. The future part implies our personal future, that we have to work towards the goal (of which precious few ever reach), bettering ourselves along the way.

The human brain is a multi-billion cell neuro-computer that is programmed from the moment we are hatched out on this earth. Most people go thru life completely controlled by the programming that has been laid down in their brains -- they are essentially robots. Some few, and now that leisure time (as opposed to survival time) exits, more & more people are figuring this out and breaking free to program themselves.

My hope is that before we get to the end of the current phase of the current civilization, that enuff people have broken free from their inate programming and that technological progress has gotten us far enuff along that we can transcend what usually comes after the current stage of civilaization.

Every civilization thru time has gone thru 5-stages. Stage 5 is summed up in a single word by "beuracracy". The next stage is collapse & chaos.

BTW the book "Voyage to Yesteryear" (mentioned in my Friday the 13th announcement) is a story on this theme.

dave

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Darwin etc

I can recommend "The blind Watchmaker" or "Climbing Mount Improbable" by Richard Dawkins. The last book is fascinating and concerns itself with questions as to if and how something incredibly complex as a human eye could come into existence by the power of chance mutation alone. Not a book for creationists though. But it does help to make sense of a lot of baffling things in the world around us.

Jan Didden

janneman said:
Circlotron wrote:

" When you compare the idyllic situation of our first parents way back, and where they and their offspring would have progressed to today, in contrast to where we are nowadays, saddled as we are with old age, sickness and death and a stack of other manifestations of imperfection, we are indeed "miserable and pitiable and poor and blind and naked".

Can I ask you, do you take literally the fable of paradise and the idyllic situation of first man and woman, created as the first humans? Are you a creationist rather than an evolutionist? If so, I understand you fully.

Jan Didden
Neither. Not an evolutionist. Not a creationist who AFAIK will try and tell you that the earth and the rest of the universe was made in 6 or 7 days of 24 hours each. I don't think so. I believe the Bible account where it say "In the beginning God made the heavens and the earth". After that had been accomplished the earth could have easily sat around for billions of years cooling down etc just like geologists tell us from the stuff they dig up. Then the earth was prepared for habitation in six defined periods of time referred to figuratively as "days", the length of which could easily have been many thousands of years. In fact according to that timetable the seventh day is still progressing now. I believe the account of the appearance of the first man and woman. What's impossible with that?

Kuei Yang Wang said:
As to "the Bible says", this is a term to be used with care. The current Bible is a canon resulting from the selective exclusion of certain books in both Hebrew/Aramaic scripture and the predominantly Greek christian scripture. By "commitee" decision varios councils excluded certain books and included others.
Well then, if the Bible really has been tampered with then it wouldn't really be a book that God organised because you wouldn't think that he could create the whole universe but be unable to keep a single written record on the straight and narrow. If he found it necessary to have certain things recorded for the benefit of those that would take the time to read it then do you think he would then allow it to get permanently corrupted? If it is not a book from him then it doesn't really matter.

Why would the Catholic Church during the previously mentioned Inquisitions go around killing people to prevent them reading it if it were only a book that some men wrote? It would have no real authority at all. Nowadays the churches realise that doing this kind of thing only makes honest hearted people even more eager to read what they are missing out on, so they just go about discrediting it instead. It's a case of "Well, it might have been pretty hot stuff back in those dim, dark days, but now we (clerics) really know where it's at. We are much smarter now than they ever were. You just leave it to us. Read it if you like but it's just old, obsolete stuff."

It does not follow

Sounds to me like another way of saying their is no such thing as absolute truth, therefore just do as you please if it feels right to you and the majority don't object!

a non sequitur
the fact there is not an absolute does not mean all distinctions are lost or all ways/judgments are equal. A large section of western thought and religion can be seen as a movement forward from opposites (absolutes), a dialectic... identity and the problem of opposites.

Life more resembles a paradox than an absolute truth. Which is one reason, I suppose, Christ spoke in parables and didn't leave us a neat short list. The lists were written by men with grave consequence. My problem with Christianity is that it has located God above and over instead of within one. Religious life congeals into externals and formalities.

Cheers
Craig Ryder

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.