analysing worn vs new stylus rips

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Recently I had a couple of stylii send off to be imaged as a favour. Both AT microlines, but one well worn (audibly so) and the other under 10 hours. After sticking them under the microscope a track was recorded with each so there is a record of what a worn out stylus sounds like. But we were mulling what sort of audio analysis might be useful. If I can work out how to operate dropbox I'll post links here but in the meantime any ideas what might be of use?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
What was ripped and was it the same for both stylii?

I would look at the frequency spectrum, and noise floor.

Maybe compare L-R amplitude maxima and minima to determine whether or not separation level is affected?

Normally I say distortion, but on music signal that's going to be impossible unless gross in which case the spectrum would be affected.

Without knowing the nature of the material ripped it's hard to guess what else might be useful.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Kevin: This was a music recording. Lead in groove followed by (classical) music. When I get the stylus back later in the year I can try test records but this was done as an interest thing as not many recorded comparisons of new vs on last legs out there.

Note even when worn to the point of touching the groove bottom the contact patch is still only .2mil wide. HF should not be affected (for a given value of should).

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It's engraved as a triangle wave, which a velocity sensing cartridge turns into a square wave.

Dropbox is not strong in this one, so here are the original links

New Stylus: https://www.dropbox.com/s/675xn437xn0hz ... 3.wav?dl=0
Worn Stylus: https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2mqqj36xsz0l ... 3.wav?dl=0

Comparisons someone has done already on the music section does suggest a very increased noise level, whereas the lead in grooves overlap almost perfectly. This I think is a sign of the stylus bottom out on modulated grooves.

Attachments

• worn_vs_new.jpg
    worn_vs_new.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 219
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Interesting. Even via laptop speakers the noise increase with the worn one is quite obvious but also the treble curiously seems more muted and a bit phasey almost. Not as incisive.

That's a bit of a contradiction, more noise and less treble, but it's how it sounds to me. The noise isn't just the background groove noise but background 'hiss' such as it is. That sounds higher with the worn yet the treble on the instruments more muted.

Comparisons someone has done already on the music section does suggest a very increased noise level, whereas the lead in grooves overlap almost perfectly. This I think is a sign of the stylus bottom out on modulated grooves.
Bill,

I failed to find differences in noise spectra between new and worn, but I took a 200msec fragment of a loud passage at 3/4 of the recording and time aligned new and worn as best as I could.
Then I took the difference of both, see image below.
Longer periods are not possible because of speed fluctuations of the TT.
The largest differences can be seen in the higher frequencies.

Hans

Attachments

• New_Worn.png
    New_Worn.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 178
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Hi Hans,

Sadly a minor tragedy has struck. The next step was to lap the diamond so that it cleared the groove base again. During lapping it broke, so we can't get any more data out this. I'll just have to wear out another microridge and try again. It'll only take me about 6 years...

Hi Hans,

Sadly a minor tragedy has struck. The next step was to lap the diamond so that it cleared the groove base again. During lapping it broke, so we can't get any more data out this. I'll just have to wear out another microridge and try again. It'll only take me about 6 years...

Wow that’s a pitty.
But doesn’t it imply that in the meantime you suddenly have all the time in the world to finalise your MM and MC hardware projects. :D

Hans

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Tough break Bill - literally!

I went over the New and Worn files to find differences. I assume that you left everything the same and just swapped the stylus.

• Remarkably clean and low noise. Tells me how far I have to go with mine.
  • Average level very close between new and worn. About 1/3 dB on the left channel and 1.33 dB on the right
  • New is better balanced between channels.
  • Out of phase levels (side channels) equal between new and worn despite the balance difference
  • Quiet groove noise only averages 0.4dB lower on new stylus. However, spectrum different
  • Frequency response almost identical up to ~5 kHz. Then new has better HF response. See graph 1
  • Quiet groove noise spectrum noticeably different. See graph 2

This is the music frequency response of the 2 stylii. New is left (white) and worn is right (green) This is just the music section. Frequencies not shown are virtually identical.
GRAPH 1
attachment.php

This is the frequency response of quiet groove amplified 26 dB. Again new is left, worn is right.
GRAPH 2
attachment.php

As far as I can hear and see, the new stylus has slightly better channel balance, better top end response and lower noise in the ear's sensitive range.
Otherwise very similar.

Cheers

Attachments

• new vs worn.png
    new vs worn.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 313
  • new vs worn noise.png
    new vs worn noise.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 311
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.