Analog Arts 8 in 1 Instrument coming soon

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was lucky enough to connect with Analog arts for their low cost tools that are good in early testing and design. Having too many instruments is always a problem and the Swiss arm knife of instruments is what I found here.

I am getting the first version of their brand new 8 in 1 tool which has

Dual Scope
Arbitrary Waveform generator
Logic Analyzer
Phase and frequency analyzer (single freq)
Spectrum Analyzer
Data Recorder
Pattern Generator
Frequency and Phase response recorder - This is new.

The units measure and generate into the Gigahertz although there are limitations as you get up there. For practical purposed without having to think about it, consider 100 MHz bandwidth which is excellent for the price and for general use.

I have been playing with the older SL987 ($820) for while but will report on the new SF8800 ($920) to be introduced over the weekend. The SL907 is only $300 and limited to about 20 MHz instead of 100 MHz.

USB Oscilloscope - Spectrum Analyzer | Analog Arts is the website.

Although this seems like a simple tool, here is a list of waveforms you can generate at a click, well maybe 2 clicks, in addition to any custom waveform.
Sine, Square, Ramp - Triangle, Falling, Rising, Noise, AM, FM, Sweep, Burst, Digital, ASK, FSK, PSK, Pulse, Sinc, Exponential.

This little gizmo is chock full of features.

More to come when I get the new unit.

Yes, I agree. The USB isolation would seem to be a higher priority. This may have to be an external device with perhaps an external 5 volt supply and the Corning optical USB.

Keep in mind that the corning USB is NOT galvanic isolated and may block the communication if the target USB device draws to much current. :deer:

An Aussie company does some progress in providing an USB2 isolation IC and may AD will come up with SB2 support.. :cool:

Hp

The new software down load - 03.21.16 is available. This has the 8 in 1 capability with the new addition being the Frequency Response Analyzer. This measures the Phase and Frequency.

here are the specs for the SF830. The SF 880 goes to 150 Mhz.

Frequency Response Analyzer
Frequency range: 1 Hz to 50 MHz
Frequency resolution: less than 1 Hz
Dynamic range: more than 80 dB
Generator waveform: sine
Sweep: logarithmic and linear
Accuracy: 0.10 dB, 0.10o (at 1 KHz)
Coupling: AC, DC
Intuitive GUI

This is not listed in the store and may be an oversight.Hopefully corrected soon.

I will have my hardware on Wed. Will share what I find.

Hi ua100k, thanks for pointing this option out. As a beginner in diy audio I'd like to get more insight into how my design and implementation choices affect performance. I'd guess that, at this stage, especially the oscilloscope and frequency spectrum analyzer would be useful instruments.

How do you feel a device like the SA975 (500 MHz Oscilloscope | PC Based Oscilloscope) stacks up to a bench oscilloscope like the ds1052e (http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/ds1052e/)?

Also, do higher inout bandwidth rates / sampling rates offer tangible value for typical audio diy projects, like measuring linear regulated psu's, preamps or headphone amps?

If others would like to weigh on this, please do. I would really appreciate some advice before splurging. :)

I'll just leave this here for anyone else who encounters this thread. Now that I've done some research of my own, here are my findings:

• The Analog Arts scope has some issues, see this rather thorough teardown from The Signal Path Blog: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-1uA4Iwce8

• The Rigol model I mentioned in my post (DS1052E) has more or less been superseded by the Rigol DS1054Z, which many people apparently feel offers extreme value-for-money. Here's a great review series of the unit: https://www.eevblog.com/2015/01/15/eevblog-703-rigol-ds1054z-oscilloscope-review-summary/

• Finally, if you're feeling adventurous the Rigol part can be soft-modded quite easily to unlock features normally reserved for more expensive models.

It should come as no surprise then that I opted for the Rigol DS1054Z oscilloscope. :)

As for a spectrum analyzer, it seems that most people recommend getting a good soundcard and using software packages like ARTA or AudioTester rather than buying a bench unit. A quick search here on the forum should yield plenty of information on that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.