An under-radar planar full range from Harman Kardon

Would be great if you could post those part numbers here :)

I will share a list of part numbers once I found the time to sort all my collected information.

You two are also not wrong, it's silly to expect a huge performance upgrade from simply slapping two of these together. I wouldn't bother if I could afford new, well documented drivers instead of used mystery panels, but unfortunately that's not an option for me.
But at 35€ each, I am very comfortable with sacrificing two of them to experiment and learn. I am inexperienced with planars, and being limited to working with a given magnet assembly makes it easier to start. Certainly there's a lot of effort involved in making and mounting new diaphragms, constructing a proper new housing etc. but more than enough people here have proven that it's far from impossible to diy these things.

Jees thats insane price :) a viewer send me one upcoming week, looking forward to it ! they looks pretty nice ! ,
for this frequency range you do not need push pull. its kind of wastefull, and makes even a worse frequency response
they stole my idea of these pins to align magnets haha :) i did it once before. but i had to put in the pins... witch makes it rather a pain in the *** :)

That smile is not that simple. The shape must be engneered extensively. It affect the damping of some part of the membrane,further more dampens the standing wave on the membrane besides direction, radiation angle and of course fq response. Modding the unit will make it worth 99.99% unless one have the ability to simulate on computer and test.
Yes, a simulation would be good. That Comsol simulation in 2016 was made without the acoustic lens, anyone able to simulate it with the lens?

I can imagine this "smile" aperture (probably more the covered area around it) has some damping effect on its own, however, there is already significant damping from the felt damper on the backside, and from the broad strip of silicone glue on the edge of the moving membrane area.

I did some quick tests:
  • When removing the lens grille and knocking on the driver frame, I can hardly hear any peaks, or see any in a spectogram app, maybe a small one roughly at 400 Hz.
  • When also removing the felt damping sheet which is glued to the back, that 400 Hz peak gets very pronounced and rings, so that felt made a big difference
  • However, when holding the metal frame tightly in my hands (without blocking much of the metal openings or creating a cavity), that peak is much weaker and doesn't ring anymore. So that peak was the sheet metal resonance, which had been dampened mechanically (not acoustically) by the felt before. I don't see or hear any other peaks, so it seems all membrane resonance is pretty much deadened by that silicone strip, and maybe to a lesser degree by the internal damping of the membrane foil or the glue between the alu strips and the foil.
  • Very similar result when clipping the black lens frame back on (still without the felt sheet). Now probably the mechanical clamping and the foam strips inside do the damping of the metal sheet.
  • Without lens and felt, when exposing the membrane to a slow sweep, I can see/feel some increased excursion around 330 Hz. But this is not very strong, I don't really hear the resonance, and when knocking on the frame this frequency doesn't show in the spectrum, so the membrane damping seems indeed to be very effective.
Regarding directivity and FR:
  • Lens dampens 2...5 dB above 6kHz, and 1...2 dB between 400...900 Hz
  • Lens reduces THD by 2% @ 90dBSPL (increased damping at larger excursion due to the partial covering of the membrane)
  • Lens widens the directivity (across the smaller dimension) above 4kHz due to the smaller radiating area
  • Lens creates a slight directivity preference (across the smaller dimension) on the side of the "smile corners", by gaining a few dB above 8kHz; however, the maximum SPL is still measured on-axis at all frequencies
I would attribute only the last observation to the specific "smile" shape, while the rest seems just a function of the partial membrane covering and the consequently reduced radiating aperture.

Other observations/opinions?

I'm sorry to ruin your fun, but all this talk of modding them to be push pull and higher excursion is not at all realistic. You'll waste tons of time and never likely get a good result. You want push pull, lower cut off frequency and higher output? Pay for a driver that already does it, because modifying these is not the solution. Pay up for some Radian product and be happy. It will likely make for a killer car audio SQ system and still be cheaper than the rip off prices car specific brands sell their high end offerings for.
for most mid top end you dont need push pull but ok. and FR looks better in single ended 90% of the time. now there biggest problem is there size. only useable as insane beaming tweeter or upper mid range.
besides that price is insane cheap i bet i can make them work for something :)

A very belated, very happy New Year ;)

Any chance you could post some of those part numbers soon? Thanks.
Unfortunately I have been extremely busy recently, also wanted to send WrineX one of my drivers but didn't get around to it yet. I think I already finished a list of part numbers at home and after work I'll post it along with all the other information I've gathered.

Reactions: 1 user
Here's a first batch of info, more to come (many open tabs). I plan to experiment more and post measurements, but no promises at this time.

There seem to be 3 different part numbers for BMW, the drivers are identical, but the plastic frames with the acoustic lens are slightly different in size and shape.
They can be removed without damaging the driver and the shape of the lens is identical, although the support beams along the aperture vary slightly.
The drivers are roughly 80x200 mm.
They were only available with the Harman Kardon sound system.
Even though BMW still offers Harman Kardon sound systems, they no longer use the EDPL (or planars in general).
The most recent model that could be equipped with them released in 2016, roughly where Samsung took over Harman.
The BMW speakers are by far the easiest to obtain.

There are at least 2 part numbers for Ferrari.
These are narrower, roughly 60x200 mm.
At least in one model they were installed in pillars instead of the roof like in other cars.
They were only available with the Becker sound system.

There is at least 1 part number for Kia/Hyundai.
They are probably also roughly 60x200 mm, in my notes I wrote that they might have a differently shaped acoustic lens aperture, but I can't remember where I got that information from.
They were only available with the Infinity sound system and probably only in the Sedona and no other model.

It looks like most, if not all techniques described in the patents by Harman and Steve Hutt regarding the EDPL have been employed.
This includes:
  • sightly larger vent holes on the outer (first and sixth) rows of the base plate
  • the acoustic lens
  • an epoxy-like dampening material around the edge of the diaphragm
  • dampening underneath the base plate (which, from what I've seen so far, is usually found between the diaphragm and magnet structure, this design likely allows for more excursion (and/or higher efficiency, as they can be closer together)
  • likely more, still haven't had the time to read through all the patents yet

They most likely use NdFeB neodymium magnets and a 25 μm Teonex® (polyethylene naphthalate / PEN) diaphragm.

BMW part numbers:
65136951981 (2005-2007?)
65139143154 (2005-2013?)
65139245810 (2012-2016?)

Ferrari part numbers:

Kia part numbers:
96360-4D500

Reactions: 2 users