• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

An Indiana Yankee in Putin's court.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Though it is not one of my top priorities at the moment I have kicked around the idea of an all Russian amplifier. Of course getting all Russian tubes is easy enough but I wonder if getting anything approaching all Russian parts is possible.

Are Russian...

Transformers
Jacks
Switches
Pots
Caps
Resistors
etc.

all available on the American market?

It would be kind of a neat conversation piece to build an all Russian amp with even the markings in Russian. :D

mike

I have a box of MLT-05 resistors of many values. And some capacitors, except electrolytics: they are bad... No, some exceptions exist: I liked K50-29, but they always were used in military equipment so are unobtanium. K50-6 especially made in Armenian Republic always were garbage. Jacks and pots are bad. Military rotary switches are very good.
And I have some POS-61 solder with rosin core.

Speaking of your topic name, recently Medvedev was elected instead of Putin.

For those who understand Russian:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJqMK7s0LCI

I can find it fascinating to make up a sort of concept construction, be it tube amp or Victoran corset or a website, but I wouldn't say that it is either easy or something that gives a super result by using Russian components only.
First you have to get them, and as you aren't in SPb or Moscow and can chase odd stuff on the local markets your choices aren't the very best.

However I can give you some addresses (that I haven't tried). And an advice, don't fall in the Russian PIO pitfall. Papercaps have a very high degree of odd harmonic distortion...

Globex - tubes, caps, resistors
Polbox (Polish) - tubes transformers
STC - tubes and stuff
Conus Audio - tubes
GS Tube - tubes
Golden Middle - tubes Xformers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.