• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

An Important Read

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my quest to find good reference material I came across a paper written by a guy named, Daniel Cheever, titled:

"A NEW METHODOLOGY FOR AUDIO FREQUENCY POWER AMPLIFIER TESTING BASED ON PSYCHOACOUSTIC DATA THAT BETTER CORRELATES WITH SOUND QUALITY"

The text can be as dry as the title, but it is more than worth reading. He has access to some test equipment that most of us can only dream about, but more importantly, seems to know what to look for.

The punchline...It seems that zero feedback SE actually TESTS better than conventional designs in some very key, but overlooked areas.

The paper is available here in pdf format:

http://www.next-power.net/next-tube...les/Cheever/abstract_en.html&sub_menu_item=99

If your looking to expand your understanding as to why something sounds good/bad ,do yourself a favor and read it.

valveitude said:
[B...a paper written by a guy named, Daniel Cheever, titled:

"A NEW METHODOLOGY FOR AUDIO FREQUENCY POWER AMPLIFIER TESTING BASED ON PSYCHOACOUSTIC DATA THAT BETTER CORRELATES WITH SOUND QUALITY"

The text can be as dry as the title, but it is more than worth reading...

If your looking to expand your understanding as to why something sounds good/bad ,do yourself a favor and read it. [/B]

It looks interesting though I've only read the abstract. I don't know how much I'll understand but I am definitely interested in why some amps that have great tested specs don't have the emotional impact of some amps with "lesser" tested specs.

When I found this paper, I tried to find some opinions on it. I didn't think to use "cheever" in the search...duh...I mean really duh. Once I did I discovered a lot of ...um...opinions.

Yes, but it is an interesting read, then draw your own conclusions

Exactly, I read somewere that lots of feedback with lots of SS stages couldn't be beat :D .

"If it measures good and sounds bad, -- it is bad. If it sounds good and measures bad, -- you've measured the wrong thing." - Daniel von Recklinghausen (Chief Engineer H.H. Scott)

A VERY smart man.

Casey

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.