An idea for capacitors

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone considered making a PCB that can take 10's or even 100's of SMT capacitors in order to make a single large value capacitor? Some of the large value NPO\COG SMT capacitors are actually very good for audio.

With automated assembly, the board can be relatively inexpensive, even populated.

Objections are no doubt, the issues of the layout, however, with thick oxygen free copper, good layout, etc. I forsee no more problems than trying to wraps a standard capacitor.

The advantage is the ability to tune the capacitor very easily by cutting out sections, or even individual capacitors.

I am not saying this is a good idea, just an idea and would like to here some feedback, positive and negative.

Two questions:

1) What is a reasonable price/capacitance point for C0G ceramics? Most of my catalogs abandon C0G at relatively low values, but I know bigger ones are out there, just not how $$$ they are.

2) How can we determine the RMS and ripple current rating for this monster cap? A lot of ceramics datasheets don't really have this information since they are not spec'd for high-current applications. Related to this, what is the failure mode of a stressed C0G? If one goes short circuit, it could lead to some unhappiness.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.